News & Information
12-6-19 — Board Hears of Two Proposed Programs
Dec. 6, 2019 ~ The Olathe Board of Education met Dec. 5 to recognize several outstanding staff and students, and hear presentations focusing on high school students and programs.
Market Value Assets
Assistant Superintendent of Support Services Jessica Dain and Kauffman Foundation Educator in Residence Donna McDaniel presented information on the Kauffman real-world learning initiatives that include students’ market value assets. These involve work experiences, college credit, industry-recognized credentials or entrepreneurial experiences. Preparing children for their future means teaching critical thinking, 21st century skills, and habits needed to navigate and thrive in a rapidly changing world.
The district will work to create a long-range plan to ensure that by 2030 all Olathe graduates will have at least one market value asset.
New Career and Technical Education Pathways
In the second presentation to the board, Dain reviewed two new education pathways that align with the Kansas City region’s workforce: Animal Science and Research, and Healthcare Science and Emergency Medical Specialties. The proposed pathways would be part of the Olathe Advanced Technical Center two-year programs offered to juniors and seniors.
Curriculum development for the courses involved business partners, post-secondary representatives and district staff. Advisory board members also had the opportunity to provide input and make suggestions about curriculum.
Tax Bill Information
Deputy Superintendent of Bsuiness and Finance John Hutchison explained Johnson County tax assessment as it relates to USD 233, Olathe Public Schools. Watch a short video about understanding tax bills.
- The Olathe Public Schools Foundation has provided years of support for district students and staff.
- LuAnn Fox, English teacher at Olathe Northwest High School, is the 2019 regional winner of the High School Teacher of Excellence Award from the Kansas Association of Teachers of English and Secondary Section of the National Council of Teachers of English.
- The Olathe East High School gymnastics team won the 6A state championship, Olathe East’s Kelsey Meyer won the individual title in balance beam, and Olathe Northwest’s Brooke Illum is the state champion in floor, vault and all-around.
- The Olathe West High School boys soccer team won the 6A state championship.
- Olathe Parents as Teachers, part of the Kansas City Area Parents as Teachers Consortium, earned the highest designation from the Parents as Teachers National Center.
- Rick Schier was recognized for more than eight years of service on the Board of Education.
In other business, the board:
- Approved a consent agenda including meeting minutes, financial reports, accounts payable, human resources items, student trips, curriculum, and revisions to board policy GCR – Work Schedules.
- Approved audit reports for the fiscal year ended June 30, 2019.
- Approved renewal of the district’s capital outlay resolution, last approved by the board in 2014.
- Approved all Head Start policies and procedures, and reviewed regular monthly program information.
- Appointed Joe Beveridge to serve as Kansas Association of School Boards board of directors region 15 vice president through 2023.
- Approved renewal of the annual Follett Destiny library circulation and support agreement. (Technology funds)
- Approved renewal of the annual support and maintenance agreements for Cisco systems and equipment. (general fund)
- Approved renewal of Frontline Education’s professional learning management support agreement. (general fund)
- Approved renewal of the Business Plus financial management and human resources management software and support. (general fund)
- Approved the purchase of seven commercial lawn mowers to replace aging equipment. (capital outlay)
- Approved the purchase and installation of commercial kitchen equipment and food serving systems to replace many items 25-30 years old. (capital outlay)
- Accepted a bid for partial roof replacement at Ridgeview Elementary School. (capital outlay)
- Accepted a bid for summer roofing projects at Black Bob, Central and Walnut Grove elementary schools; California Trail and Frontier Trail middle schools; and Mill Creek Campus. (2016 Bond)
- Approved the vacation of the existing utility easement and a new sanitary sewer easement at Central Elementary.
- Received information on future action items including student trips, curriculum, audio visual equipment for various locations, annual beverages contract, athletic apparel and equipment, technology-related bids, canopy for the Olathe West High School fire truck, regular meeting dates and times for February through June 2020, and resolution to extend the terms of board president and vice president to the July 2020 organizational meeting.
- Received attendance figures for the fall parent-teacher conferences.
- Received the Head Start director’s monthly report.
The complete agenda and supporting documents are available by visiting the BoardDocs website.