What We Do at Supporting Care Providers
Supporting Care Providers is a voluntary free program for home childcare providers caring for children from birth to 5 years old. The service is for providers within the school district boundaries of Olathe, Leavenworth and Kansas City, Kansas.
Providers are offered curriculum aligned with the Parents as Teachers program to gain child development knowledge, activities, discipline strategies, health, safety and nutrition. Curriculum is offered in Spanish and English.
Supporting Care Providers makes home visits to family, friends, and neighbors who provide home childcare, as well as licensed in-home childcare providers.
Benefits of Home Visits for Care Providers
- Monthly home visits with evidence-based curriculum.
- Supporting care providers through personal visits (Parents as Teachers).
- A new children's book is provided to the care provider at each visit.
- Provider educators bring materials fo the provider/child interactions.
- Care providers are given training and assistance in administering developmental screenings, including ASQ-3 and ADQ-SE2.
- Provider educators give individualized support to each care provider based on their needs and the needs of children in their care.
- Visits improve the quality of care in the informal care setting.
- Visits enhance equity in childcare.
- Visits provide the opportunity for developmental screenings and referrals to early intervention services.
- Information shared empowers and increases awareness of community resources.