Forms for New Students

Enrollment Information

  • Frequently Asked Questions about Enrollment

    What school will my child attend?  To find out which school your child should attend, use our online school locator service or call 913-780-7000.

    When and where do I enroll my child?  Official registration for the 2024-25 school year will begin July 9. Registration is on the ParentVUE website for returning families. For families who are new to the district, please call your child’s school to arrange a time to go in and enroll.

    What does it cost to enroll? At the time of enrollment, you will pay instructional materials fees of $120. The cost for students attending three hours or less per day is $60. (No instructional fees for early childhood students.) You may also purchase lunch tickets, yearbooks, parking permits, activity tickets and pay other miscellaneous fees.

    Whom should I call about enrollment, transportation, free and reduced lunch forms, or physical exam forms? For elementary age children, call your child’s school secretary. For middle and high school students, call your child’s school counselor. If school is not in session, call 913-780-7000.

    Does the district offer a registration help line? Please call 913-780-7781 (on or after July 9) for assistance with registering your student.

    Age Requirements

    The requirement for a child's first enrollment in a Kansas school is governed by state law and the school district cannot exercise any deviations from the law. In essence, the law provides:

    • A child must be 5 years of age on or before Aug. 31 of the current year to enter kindergarten.
    • A child must be 6 years of age on or before Aug. 31 of the current year to enter the first grade.
    • A certified copy of a child's birth certificate must be presented to the school upon first entrance to school.

    Entrance Requirements

    Eligibility Requirements

    Whenever a child is enrolled in an Olathe district school for the first time, the parent/guardian is required to provide proof of the child's identity.

    For all students enrolling/enrolled in the district:

    • A certified copy of the birth certificate of the child, or
    • As an alternative for the child in the custody of the Secretary of Social and Rehabilitation Services, a certified copy of the court order placing the child in the custody of the secretary.

    NOTE: If proof of identity is not presented to the school district within 30 days after enrollment, written notice will be given immediately to a law enforcement agency having jurisdiction within the home county of the school. Upon receipt of the written notice, the law enforcement agency shall conduct an investigation to determine the identity of the child.

    Part-Time Enrollment

    The Board of Education's policy regarding part-time enrollment of students, Board Policy JBC (School Admissions), is available online.

    The Board of Education will make a good faith attempt to accommodate scheduling requests for students desiring to enroll part time in the district. However, the Board of Education is not required to make adjustments to accommodate every such request.

    Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

    The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords parents and students over 18 years of age certain rights with respect to the student's education records.