Payride Service Within 2.5 Miles of School
Bus service may be available on a pay basis for students who live less than 2.5 miles from school. Annual registration is required. Open registration is from March 15 through July 15. Registrations received after July 15 may not be processed until September. Late registration may result in an increased walk distance to the bus stop or placement on a wait list. Bus service is available on a first-come, first-serve, space-available basis if there is an existing bus in the area. Payrider information is detailed below.
Register and pay for transportation with First Student (Please note that you will leave the Olathe Public Schools’ website and be redirected to First Student’s RevTrak register and pay website.)
For those schools where regular bus routes currently exist, bus transportation may be available and fees apply for:
- Elementary students living 1 to 2.5 miles from school.
- Secondary students living 1.5 to 2.5 miles from school.
- Students who live within a transportation safety variance area.
- AND for those who register and pay for service by July 15.
The only spaces available after July 15 will be on a space-available, first-come, first-serve basis and are not guaranteed. Additionally, late requests will not be processed until after Sept. 3.
Registrations for new students moving into the district over the summer will be processed on a first-come, first-serve, space-available basis with move-in status verification.
- Regardless of annual or semester payment option, full year fees are required.
- Pay ride fees from the previous school year need to be paid and the account in good standing in order for a new registration to be accepted.
- No discounts for students who only ride the bus once per day due to activities.
- Refunds may be available if you move and will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
- Transportation may not be available to students who transfer outside of their attendance area.
- Distances are measured from the student’s home to the school, following the shortest path.
- Students will board the bus at their assigned bus stop.
- Bus stops are primarily established by placing stops near corners that are centrally located within a neighborhood.
- Elementary bus stops will be located 1 mile or more away from the school. Secondary bus stops will be located 1.5 miles or more.
- A minimum number of bus riders will be required per route.
The base rate for bus transportation is $290 per school year, but various discounts may apply. All other district payride conditions and requirements remain applicable.
The second child in a family receives a 10 percent discount. The third child in a family receives a 20 percent discount. All other riders from a family receive free transportation. Students with approved free or reduced-cost federal lunch program applications are eligible for free or reduced-cost transportation on a first-come, first-serve, space-available basis if there is an existing route in the area. To receive free or reduced pricing, parents must check the waiver box on the federal lunch program application stating that information may be shared with transportation.
*New students moving into the district over the summer pay this amount (see charts below) when registering after July 15.
Please feel free to contact First Student at 913-782-1050 for assistance or to verify mileage calculations.
2019-20 Annual Payment Per Rider
|Payment Option||First Child||Second Child||Third Child|
|March 15-May 15 Discount||$217.50||$195.75||$174.00|
|May 16-July 15*||$290.00||$261.00||$232.00|
|July 16 or Later||$340.00||$311.00||$282.00|
2019-20 Semi-Annual Payment per Rider
|Payment Option||First Student||Second Student||Third Student|
|March 15-May 15 Discount||$137.75||$124.00||$110.20|
|May 16-July 15*||$145.00||$130.50||$116.00|
|July 16 or Later||$170.00||$155.50||$141.00|
|Dec. 15-Jan. 31*||$145.00||$130.50||$116.00|
|Feb. 1 or Later||$170.00||$155.50||$141.00|