Reunion Planning Tips
We can help if you're planning a class reunion. Here are some steps to make the process go smoothly.
Holding Funds for a Future Reunion
The Olathe Public Schools Alumni Association has a resource for graduating classes to designate funds to support future reunions. This hassle-free option takes the burden off an individual alum to keep track of money until a reunion and avoid paying possible monthly non-active bank account fees. It's as easy as having three graduates set up an account with the association with no fees charged to the class representatives. (download the Class Reunion Account PDF form)
View and print the PDF version of the information below
Determining the Date
Look for dates that may draw more classmates to your reunion such as Old Settler's weekend (the first weekend after Labor Day) or homecoming football games. Also, be aware of dates, such as holiday weekends, that may impact the availability of your desired location.
Finding Your Classmates
To access your class information on file, contact Amanda York in the Olathe Community Development Department. She can be reached via email at email@example.com or call 913-780-8182. Other ways to gather contact data could include: using social media or the Internet to search for those you cannot find, perusing the local phone book because classmates' parents may still live in the area, or asking other classmates for contact information of their best friends in the class. Make sure to update your roster as you locate classmates. Ask for their full name, address, phone number and email addresses. Keep in mind it is cheaper to communicate via email than through postal mail. Be assured this information submitted to the school district will only be used for reunion purposes.
Promoting Your Event
Register your reunion with the Olathe Public Schools Alumni Association by using the online message form. We will publicize the date(s) and your contact information on our website, and various other communication options. Other ways to advertise the event could include creating a social media page for your class and/or contacting your high school and informing them of the dates in case any of your classmates were to call and inquire.
Deciding on Activities
It is important to determine the length and extravagancy of your reunion. Take into consideration how much your events will cost and try to keep expenses down so that those who must travel for the reunion won’t have a lot of additional expenses. Some activities to consider are:
- Arranging a buffet dinner with DJ and dancing
- Organizing a backyard or local park barbeque that may or may not include children
- Coordinating an informal event at a local restaurant or bar
- Touring your high school or attending a high school sporting event
- Visiting the Education Center at 14160 Black Bob to view an amazing display of school memorabilia dating back to the turn-of-the-century and a timeline depicting the district’s rich history. (Please call the Education Center at 913-780-7000 to see when this exhibit can be viewed.)
Locations and Accommodations
Choosing a location can be a time-consuming and tricky task. Ask where others have had their reunions. You may also consider contacting the Olathe Convention and Visitors Bureau at 913-764-1050 or https://www.olathe.org/convention-visitors-bureau for help with meeting and event sites, hotel arrangements and pricing, and other planning tasks. If you have quite a few out-of-town classmates, holding an event at a hotel may allow you to negotiate better guest room and banquet facility rates. Regardless of what route you choose, there are other wonderful event sites located in the area including:
- Mahaffie Stagecoach Stop & Farm Lawn or Heritage Center, 1200 N. Kansas City Road, Olathe
- Lake Olathe shelter houses, 625 Lakeshore Drive, Olathe
- Cedar Lake shelter houses, 15500 S. Lone Elm Road, Olathe
- Classmate's home or rural property
- Overland Park Arboretum and Botanical Gardens, 8909 W. 179th St., Overland Park
- Kill Creek Park, 11670 Homestead Lane, Olathe
- Shawnee Mission Park, 7900 Renner Road, Shawnee
- Olathe Community Center, 1205 E. Kansas City Road, Olathe
- Prairie Highlands Golf Course, 14695 Inverness Street, Olathe
- Shadow Glen Golf Course, 26000 Shadow Glen Drive, Olathe
- Heritage Park Golf Course, 16445 S. Lackman Road, Olathe
- St. Andrew's Golf Course, 11099 W. 135th Street, Overland Park
Alumni Association Resources
Our association would love to be a part of your reunion by informing your classmates of the wonderful events, scholarship offerings and community involvement pieces we host and support. We will be happy to attend one of your reunion events to share information with your classmates through a formal presentation, an informal set up of materials with an opportunity to ask questions, or both. You may also choose to have us provide your reunion committee with the materials and information to present on your own at any or all of your events. Once we have your reunion organizer's contact information, an alumni association representative will be in touch to see how we can best meet your needs.
Staying in Touch
To make future reunion planning easier, email a copy of your updated class roster to the district Community Development contact, Amanda York at firstname.lastname@example.org. The alumni association will keep the most recent list on file. Classmates are encouraged to personally update their contact information via our online directory update form. If classmates or patrons want to stay informed about what is going on in the school district and with the alumni association, your classmates can sign up for text or emails alerts by emailing the district webmaster at email@example.com.