Bus Transportation General Information
- Registration for the 2023-24 school is now available through InTouch. Read the InTouch PDF instructions in English. Read the InTouch PDF instructions in Spanish.
- Stopfinder free app for DS Bus Lines is available! View bus routes and schedule updates in real time. Subscriptions will be sent to the primary guardian of all bus riders by the first week of August. View the English instructions video. Watch the Spanish instructions video.
- Information will be provided by email and through Stopfinder from DS Bus Lines by the first week of August to all families who register during the open registration period.
Annual bus registration is required for all general education students who plan to ride the bus. Open registration for the 2023-24 school year is from May 9 through July 1.
Routes are built around those who have registered during the open registration period. Late registration will result in a delayed start date, increased walking distance to the bus stop, or placement on a wait list. Bus service is available on a first-come, first-serve, space-available basis if a bus route is available.
Olathe Public Schools currently provides free transportation for:
- Students who live 2.5 miles or more from their school of residence.
- Students who qualify for the federal free and reduced-cost lunch program and meet transportation services eligibility. Bus service is available on a first-come, first-serve, space-available basis if a bus route is available. *Parents must check the waiver box on the federal application stating that information may be shared with transportation.
Bus transportation may be available on a payride basis for:
- Elementary students who reside between 1.0 and 2.5 miles from school.
- Students who reside within a safety variance area.
- Students who attend a 21st Century Academy outside their school of residence.
- Students who attend the morning session of Olathe Advanced Technical Center at the main campus or West Dennis Learning Center campus.
- Students who attend S.O.A.R. at Mill Creek Campus.
All mileage is calculated by routing software which measures the shortest route from the student’s home to the school entrance in accordance with state guidelines. As technological advancements continually occur, mileage calculations may change. Likewise, when intersections, roadways and school driveways are updated or road construction occurs, mileage calculations are likely to change. Mileage calculations are determined for the upcoming school year by July 1 and will remain applicable for the entire school year. Changes to mileage that occur after July 1 will not apply until the next school year.
Early Childhood and Special Services
Students eligible for special education and early childhood transportation should submit an online request form to ensure routing is completed with the most up-to-date information available. Olathe Public Schools transportation office will prepare transportation within the school of attendance routing area and in accordance with a submitted transportation request.
Bus transportation in the Olathe Public Schools is provided under contract with DS Bus Lines and its team of dedicated driving professionals. For more information on service or employment opportunities, email DS Bus Lines at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 913-361-7400.
Direct questions regarding:
- Student conduct, disciplinary action and student guidelines to the school principal.
- Driver conduct, bus safety, student injury, bus routes and rider eligibility to DS Bus Lines, email email@example.com or call 913-361-7400.
- Olathe Public Schools Transportation Department email firstname.lastname@example.org.