Summer School Programs for 2020
Message to Parents - May 11, 2020
We continue to closely monitor the COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on current and future programming and events, including summer programs. We are writing to provide an update on the status of summer programming for 2020. We are committed to taking all steps necessary to help maintain the well-being of students and staff. As such, we are following Governor Laura Kelly's plan to reopen Kansas, along with guidance from Johnson County health officials, as well as cooperating with all Johnson County public school districts.
At this time, all in-person student activities such as events, camps and summer programming scheduled for June will not take place including:
- In-person summer activities such as summer school, weights, and in-person driver’s education classes.
- Athletic, activity or music camps that would have taken place at a school building.
- All facility rental for the month of June will be canceled as well.
- JCPRD will resume childcare at selected Olathe School sites. JCPRD will share information related to childcare opening to families in need of those services.
- Decisions made about in-person activities during the month of July will be shared at a later date.
Students participating in e-Academy online courses or credit recovery will be able to continue the courses, but any in person activities or classes will be canceled. Extended School Year (ESY) will be held virtually during the scheduled dates of June 3-June 25. More information will be communicated to the families of students who qualify for ESY special education services as outlined in their IEP soon.
As this is an evolving process, as soon as we have finalized details on future items, it will be communicated with our staff and families. Understand that information and practices are subject to change. Thank you for your patience, understanding and flexibility during this unprecedented time in our community. Please stay safe and healthy.
eAcademy (virtual program)
Summer eAcademy will offer a limited selection of courses for advanced placement students who acquire counselor enrollment permission. The eight-week summer session starts June 1 and ends with finals July 21-22. Click here to visit the eAcademy website for additional information on how eAcademy works and see available courses. Interested students should visit with their high school counselor to get persmission to enroll.