Short Term Disability
Short Term Disability (STD) benefits are designed to replace a portion of your income for a non-work-related injury or illness. You can chose your desired level of weekly benefit up to 70% of your annual salary. STD benefits will pay up to a maximum of 26 weeks.
The district is offering two STD plans:
- Option 1 begins paying after a 30-day wait period
- Option 2 begins paying on day 1 of an injury or day 8 of an illness
Pre-Existing Condition Limitation
A pre-existing condition is a health condition such as an injury or illness that exists before someone enrolls in a new insurance policy. If you enroll in the voluntary STD plan, The Hartford will review your medical history prior to and immediately after enrolling. They look back and look forward period begins on your benefit effective date.
Three Month Look Back
- If you have been treatment free for the three months before your plan begins, you will have a three-month look forward. If you remain treatment free during those three months, you will satisfy the pre-existing condition requirement.
- If you have not been treatment free for the past three months before your plan begins, but are treatment free for the three-month look forward, then you will satisfy the pre-existing condition requirement.
- If you are not treatment-free for either the three-month look back or three-month look forward, then you will have a 12-month look forward after the effective date.