Short Term Disability
The Hartford is our new vendor for Short Term Disability beginning on January 1, 2021.
Short Term Disability benefits are designed to replace a portion of your income for a non-work related injury or illness. You can chose your desired level of weekly benefit up to 70% of your annual salary. STD benefits will pay up to a maximum of 26 weeks.
The district is offering two STD plans:
- Option 1 begins paying after a 30 day wait period
- Option 2 begins paying on day 1 of an injury or day 8 of an illness
Pre-Existing Condition Limitation
A pre-existing condition is a health condition such as an injury or illness, that exists before someone enrolls in a new insurance policy. If you enroll in the voluntary STD plan, The Hartford will review your medical history prior to and immediately after enrolling. The look back and look forward period begins on your benefit effective date.
3 Month Look Back
- If you have been treatment free for the 3 months before your plan begins, you will have a 3 month look forward. If you remain treatment free during those three months, you will satisfy the pre-existing condition requirement.
- If you have not been treatment free for the past three months before your plan begins, but are treatment free for the three month look forward, then you will satisfy the pre-existing condition requirement.
- If you are not treatment free for either the three month look back or 3 month look forward, then you will have a 12 month look forward after the effective date.
Pre-existing condition limitations have been waived for all employees who were enrolled in a STD plan with American Fidelity during 2020.