Second Chance Applications
Second Chance Application Window begins Feb 8
Who May Apply?
Any 8th Grade Student who......
- missed applying during the fall semester.
- only applied to ONE academy, but were not-invited.
- is new to Olathe Public Schools.
How to Apply?
Please email the academy office at email@example.com to request to apply to an open academy.
Students that meet the qualifications for a Second Chance Application will be sent information to apply.
- Students that apply will be held to the same standards as those that applied during the fall semester.
- Students may only apply to ONE academy.
- Students that previously applied to one academy in the fall, may not re-apply to the same academy.
The academies below are evaluating Second Chance Applications.
- Students will apply online which includes a response to 3 different questions.
- Students will interview with the academy facilitator or educator. A parent should be present.
- Students will be notified via a link if they have been invited, not invited or waitlisted to the academy(ies) they applied to.
- Waitlisted students should check back at the link to see if their status has changed.
- Invited students will need to either accept or decline their invitations.
- Students accepting invitations to an academy will enroll and attend full time the high school where their academy is located, regardless of where the student lives.
- Free transportation is provided if academy is not at boundary high school.
Please view the following instructional videos on:
Who May Apply?
- Any eighth-grade student who will be enrolled for high school in Olathe Public Schools is eligible to apply.
- Any student moving in and enrolling as a ninth-grade or 10th-grade student in Olathe Public Schools may request a late or out-of-season application if there are seats available in their academy of interest. Note: A student currently in high school may not apply if they are graduation credit deficient.
To Apply or Not to Apply?
- Applying to an academy does not obligate the student.
- Applying provides the student more time to gather information about the academy of their interest.
- If during the application process the student changes their mind, they can withdraw their application.
- If they complete the application process and are invited to an academy, but they decide it isn’t a good fit, they can decline the invitation (to one or both).
- Not applying closes the door of opportunity.
Note: If there is any level of interest in an academy, it is recommended to apply. Keep your doors open!
2019-20 Application Data
|Academy||8th Grade Students Applied||# of Invitations Sent||*8th Accepted Invitation|
|*Total Applications Submitted||1215||925||--|
|Total 8th Grade Students Applying||893||--||*696 Accepted Invitations|