Welcome to Medical Professions Academy - Est. 2003
The Medical Professions Academy is located at Olathe North High School.
Genetics, Research and Human Healthcare
Who We Are
We fuse technology, research and hands-on patient care to discover a variety of opportunities available through the life sciences field. Through specialized experiences and innovative labs, students are exposed to the following three major topics:
- Genetics — Take an in-depth look into our genetic code through DNA, and the various building blocks and proteins it codes for.
- Research — Students have opportunities to conduct research using specialized equipment in the life science and biotechnology fields.
- Human Healthcare — The overall focus of this academy is combining genetics and research, while applying it to patient care. Senior year, students may obtain internships in the healthcare industry and put their background knowledge to the test in a patient care environment.
What We Do
- Use industry-standard research lab equipment
- Provide partnerships with educational and industry leaders in a wide range of life science fields, including shadowing and internships at hospitals, research laboratories, and patient care facilities
- Study and manipulate DNA and proteins
- Participate in MAPS (Modeling A Protein Story)Teams which do scientific research and print a 3-D molecular model of a protein. Students work with the Milwaukee School of Engineering and research scientists to accomplish this research. If accepted as presenters, student teams present their research at the annual National Experimental Biology Conference alongside college students and researchers from around the world.
- For more information, please contact us at MedicalProf@olatheschools.org or call 913-780-7140.