KPERS membership is a condition of employment for any employee in a "covered" position. A "covered" position requires at least 630 hours per calendar year, working consistently 17.5 hours a week, Monday through Friday; schedule does not matter.
Employees earn service credit for working in a covered position. All active KPERS members vest with five years of service, a total of 20 quarters.
- 5 years x 4 quarters a year =20
- 4.5 years rounds up to 5 years
The benefits of vesting are:
- Receive a lifetime retirement benefit even if an employee leaves employment.
- Continue to earn interest on account balance after leaving employment.
KPERS member levels are dependent on your membership date. Each membership level has different features.
- Membership before July 1, 1993, contribute 6% and earn 8% interest.
- Membership on or after July 1, 1993, contribute 6% and earn 4% interest.
- Members on or after July 1, 2009, and before January 1, 2015, contribute 6% and earn 4% interest.
- Members on or after January 1, 2015, contribute 6%, earn 4% interest quarterly and earn retirement credits that are only available at retirement.