Welcome to Animal Science and Research
Animal Science and Research Overview
The Animal Science and Research program prepares students for a variety of career opportunities in animal anatomy and care as well as agriculture entrepreneurship. Students learn through hands-on experiences from the animals in the classroom as well as from personal projects they develop.
- Become proficient in animal handling techniques and the components of small animal care.
- Learn the basic needs of animals and the things we do to protect them.
- Explore the anatomy and physiology of animals across species and learn how their body systems impact health, growth and performance.
- Learn why preserving agriculture is so important for our future.
- Learn about agricultural entrepreneurship and how to raise, market and sell goods.
- Tour an animal pharmaceutical company and discover the vast career opportunities in veterinary science and research.
What We Do
- Partner with educational and industrial institutions for advanced learning and employment opportunities
- Integrate skills needed in the workplace into classroom and laboratory instruction
This program is available to students in their junior and/or senior year for three hours a day
- Bismarck Farms
- American Royal
- Camp Bow Wow
- Dechra Pharmaceuticals
- Elanco Animal Health
- GD Farm LLC
- Heartland Pet Aquamation
- Kansas State University
- Oregon Zoo
- US Army Corp of Engineers
- Kansas City Registered Veterinary Technician Association
- National Association of Veterinary Technicians of America
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- NRPA - National Recreation and Park Association
- American Royal
- Kansas Beef Council
- Kansas Pork Association
- Kansas Soybean Commission
- John Deere
- FFA - Future Farmers of America