Welcome to Animal Science and Research
Animal Science and Research Overview
The Animal Science and Research program prepares students for a variety of career opportunities within the animal care industry and agricultural sciences. It also helps guide learners to postsecondary opportunities. Students learn through hands-on experiences from the animals in the classroom, offsite visits to local businesses, discussions and presentations from industry professionals and personal projects they develop.
- Operate hands-on in the classroom to become proficient in animal handling techniques and other components of small animal care including diagnostic and preventative care.
- Identify animal welfare concerns and the importance of this in our community and within the animal industry, including food science.
- Explore the anatomy and physiology of animals across species and learn how their body systems impact health, growth and performance.
- Learn why preserving agriculture is so important for our future.
- Learn about agricultural leadership including the importance of communication on sensitive topics.
- Tour and job shadow at veterinary hospitals and large animal facilities and discover the vast career opportunities in the animal industry.
- Opportunities within FFA to grow and develop strong personal characteristics and build lasting relationships.
What We Do
- Partner with educational and industrial institutions for advanced learning and employment opportunities
- Integrate skills needed in the workplace into classroom and laboratory instruction
This program is available to students in their junior and/or senior year for three hours a day
- American Royal
- Dechra Pharmaceuticals
- ABS Scientific Consulting
- GD Farm LLC
- Kansas State University
- American Royal
- John Deere
- Mission Veterinary Emergency and Speciality
- Mahaffie Stagecoach Stop and Farm
- Kansas FFA
- FFA - Future Farmers of America
- Youth for the Quality Care of Animals