Sports Injury Prevention
Effective July 1, 2011, Kansas law (The School Sports Head Injury Prevention Act), states that any student participating in athletics or spirit teams must provide a signed Concussion and Head Injury Information Release Form to the school office (signed by both a parent/guardian and the student). The form must be on file before the student participates in his or her first practice of the school year.
- Print and sign the pre-season concussion release form found on the Required Athletic Forms page (link at left).
In addition, the new law requires the following:
- Coaches are to remove athletes from play whenever a concussion is suspected.
- The athlete must have medical clearance to return to play.
Additional guidelines adopted by the Kansas State High School Activities Association require that:
- The return to play after a suspected concussion cannot occur on the same day that the signs and/or symptoms of concussion were observed, and
- After medical clearance, the return to play must follow a graduated protocol.
The following documents are utilized by Olathe Public Schools when a student is suspected of having a concussion.