Eligibility and Applying for Head Start
Head Start is a federally funded preschool program for income eligible families. Children must be at least three years old or turn three years old by August 31 of the current school year. Services for children with disabilities are also available.
Children must be 3 or 4 years old by Aug. 31 this year to be eligible for the 2021-22 program. Olathe Head Start also serves children with special needs (Individualized Education Program or Individualized Family Service Plan). Families must live in Johnson County, and within the boundaries of one of these school districts: Olathe, Gardner-Edgerton, DeSoto, Spring Hill or Blue Valley.
Parents must provide these documents when applying:
- Proof of all sources of income (including 2020 tax return, all 2020 W2 forms, TANF, SSI, child support or non-cash support, educational scholarships or grants, etc.)
- The child's immunization record
- The child's birth certificate
- Proof of medical insurance
- Proof of residency (includes utility statement, lease agreement)
- Name and phone number of the family doctor and dentist
- Emergency contact names and phone numbers
**PLEASE NOTE: THE ENROLLMENT STAFF ARE CURRENTLY EXPERIENCING A HIGH CALL/INQUIRY VOLUME. STAFF ARE CONTACTING FAMILIES IN THE ORDER THE INFORMATION IS RECEIVED. PLEASE BE PATIENT AND SOMEONE WILL BE CONTACTING YOU IN A FEW DAYS.