Xello - Career Exploration
Linking academics to post-high school plans can make school more relevant to your student.
In the Olathe Public Schools, students begin to explore careers in elementary school through guidance classes taught by the counselor and through other classroom activities.
The district, with input from staff, parents and students, has subscribed to an interactive service for middle school and high school students. This service, Xello, can enhance both academic and career planning.
Xello has many features including helping students choose high school courses and enabling them to maintain individual electronic portfolios as they progress through graduation.
Students and parents can use the Xello Web-based career exploration and planning tool from home or school. The site features:
- Interest and skills assessment to help identify possible career options
- Career profiles of hundreds of occupations, including links to career and college programs
- Multi-media interviews with people in various occupations
- College and financial aid information and search tools for identifying college and scholarship options for your student
- Electronic career portfolio for developing education and career plans
- Resume builder integrated with the portfolio helps students create and print professional-looking resumes
Parents are welcome to take a tour of the Xello website, or contact their child's school counselor for a password that allows access to more specific information.