Welcome to Green Springs!
The school pictured here was the first Green Springs Elementary School. It was named Case School. Its location was on one acre at the southwest corner of K-150 Highway [Santa Fe Street] and Black Bob Road. Mr. F.W. Case donated the corner of his family farm for the location of the new school built in 1877. The previous school, constructd in 1866, was one-half mile south of K-150 and one-quarter mile west off Black Bob Road, across from the present site of Oak Lawn Memorial Garden Cemetery.
Purchase price of lumber for the new school was $325.11. The rock foundation was hand cut from Johnson County limestone and hauled to the site. The builder was a carpenter from back East. Each school term was seven or eight months long. Attendance of the older children, boys in particular, was erratic, depending on when families needed help with the farming. W.S. Mitchell, the first teacher, taught for $35 a month.
According to the people in the community who attended the school in 1877, the day the new school was ready for occupancy, the children gathered up their supplies at the old schoolhouse. They then walked three-quarters of a mile at noon recess to have afternoon classes in the new building.
School met continuously from 1877 until spring of 1950, except for two years. In 1931-1933, during the Great Depression, the school board determined it less expensive to pay tuition to Olathe School District on South Water Street. They drove the students into town at attend Central Elementary School on Water Street rather than to hire a teacher for Green Springs School. After these two years, classes resumed at Green Springs. In 1950, this area of approximately 4 square miles, became part of the USD# 103 Consolidated School, and the building and land reverted to the current landowner at that time. Then, in 1981, the Olathe Fire Department burned down this one room county school in a practice drill.
These one room schools were the center of community activities. The monthly community club meetings involved all ages from young to old. The election of officers and a variety of programs all took place in the school. In about 1932, the first 4-H clubs began in this area, and the school became the meeting place.
Historical information provided by Mary Cochran
14675 S. Alden Street,
Olathe, KS 66062
Our Phone Number:
Our Fax Number:
Our School Colors:
Blue and green