- Olathe West High School
Return to Headlines
11-5-18 — Students to Honor Veterans with Special Events
Nov. 5, 2018 ~ Students across the Olathe district will recognize veterans during special events in early November.
- Briarwood Elementary — 8:45-9:45 a.m. Monday, Nov. 12. Fifth-graders bus tables during the HyVee (151st Street and Black Bob) Veterans Day breakfast. They also assist veterans and chat with them during breakfast.
- Brougham Elementary — 8 a.m. Friday, Nov. 9. Veterans from the school community as well as veterans on staff at Brougham are invited to breakfast, followed by an all-school assembly. Boy Scouts lead the Pledge of Allegiance before patriotic songs are performed. Each veteran has an opportunity to speak.
- Central Elementary — 9:15 a.m. Friday, Nov. 9. An all-school assembly will include a flag folding ceremony, veteran sharing his Honor Flight experience, and music. The Olathe North High School band will lead students in a parade around the block.
- Countryside Elementary — 9 a.m. Friday, Nov. 9. Veterans are invited to attend the all-school assembly to hear songs by the fourth- and fifth-grade chorus. Photos and information about family veterans will be displayed on a wall in the school.
- Indian Trail Middle School — 9 a.m. Friday, Nov. 9. The school will host a Veterans Day concert.
- Madison Place Elementary — 9 a.m. Monday, Nov. 5. Invited veterans from the Madison Place community will join students for songs at the flag pole. Guest veterans will visit the classrooms to create care packages for deployed service men and women. A Wall of Honor will highlight many veterans who are related to Madison Place families.
- Mahaffie Elementary — 8:30 a.m. Friday, Nov. 9. Between 25 and 40 veterans typically attend to share their stories with students and then listen to songs sung by the children.
- Olathe East High School — Monday, Nov. 12. A video will highlight the importance of Veterans Day. An assembly will include musical performances and speeches by veterans and active duty military members. Students will write cards for veterans going on honor flights.
- Pioneer Trail Middle School — 7:40 a.m. Friday, Nov. 9. An outdoor flag raising ceremony will be held prior to the all-school assembly. The event concludes with a receiving line of veterans who will shake hands with students exiting the assembly.
- Rolling Ridge Elementary School — 8:30 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 8. An all-school assembly will feature the Pledge of Allegiance and National Anthem. An Army aircraft will land near the school so students can take tours during the morning.
- Summit Trail Middle School — 9 a.m. Friday, Nov. 9. The Sabercat concert band and orchestra will perform patriotic songs before a U.S. Army sergeant speaks to students. Faculty veterans will be recognized before the Sabercat cheer and dance team perform to “God Bless the U.S.A.”
- Walnut Grove Elementary School — 2:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. Friday, Nov. 9. An afternoon assembly for students and an evening event for families will include music, a flag ceremony and a Wall of Honor for veterans.