- Olathe Public Schools
11-5-18 — Board Hears Boundary Proposal for Canyon Creek Elementary
Nov. 5, 2018 ~ Members of the Olathe Board of Education heard a presentation about attendance boundary proposals for Canyon Creek Elementary School, opening in 2019, when they met on Nov. 1. It was one of three presentations made to the board that evening.
Canyon Creek Boundaries
Assistant Superintendent Jim McMullen updated the board about two public boundary presentations made to families impacted by the opening of the district’s 36th elementary school. Canyon Creek Elementary will open at 24001 W. 97th Terrace in August 2019. A total of three boundary options were presented to the community and feedback was received from those who attended as well as others who emailed their thoughts to administrators.
Goals for the boundary decision included lowering the enrollment at Cedar Creek Elementary to fewer than 400 students, and opening Canyon Creek Elementary with at least 300 students.
The board is anticipated to vote on Canyon Creek boundaries at its Dec. 6 meeting.
Assistant Superintendent for Learning Services Brent Yeager shared information about the district’s focus on the Big 3: professional learning communities, standards-based instruction, and student engagement. The Big 3 involves a student-centered form of teaching and curricular design rooted in Board of Education approved curriculum. Dr. Yeager highlighted several instances of student engagement across the district.
American Education Week
The National Education Association celebrates American Education Week from Nov. 12-16. Olathe NEA representative Kathy Meyer gave an overview of the many ways education professionals — ranging from classroom teachers to cafeteria workers — inspire students every day through their devotion to public school children. Meyer shared a student-created video.
- SOS Implementation Partners were recognized as a community partner for consistent support to students, staff and families during September’s Suicide Prevention month and their continued support of district youth. To launch the curriculum and awareness programs, staff from KVC, Johnson County Mental Health, College Church of the Nazarene and Resolve took time to be in the schools so students who indicated needs on a screener were immediately able to access mental health professional support.
- Cory Zink and Dallin Armstrong of Olathe Northwest High School and Eddie Dai of Olathe North High School earned perfect scores on the ACT exam.
- Regency Place Elementary’s fourth-grade team and Brougham Elementary’s fifth-grade team won their divisions in the district’s Math Wings competition.
- Sixth-grade teams from California Trail and Frontier Trail middle schools, the seventh-grade team from Chisholm Trail Middle School, and the eighth-grade teams from Prairie Trail and Frontier Trail middle schools won their divisions in the district’s middle school math competition.
In other business, the board:
- Approved a consent agenda including meeting minutes, financial reports, accounts payable, human resources items, two student trips, AP Government curriculum, American Sign Language I and II course curriculum, career and technical education pathway curriculum for Aviation Electronics-Avionics, Head Start supplemental funding grant, Head Start garden grant, System 44 Next Generation materials and Read 180 University materials for Mill Creek Campus and Prairie Learning Center, update the System 44 Next Generation materials at all high schools, and six board policy revisions.
- Approved a bid for white copy paper. (general fund)
- Accepted the architectural/engineering proposal for 2019 aging facilities projects. (2016 Bond)
- Accepted the mechanical engineering consultant proposal for summer 2019 HVAC projects. (2016 Bond)
- Accepted the HVAC trade bid for the Olathe East High School greenhouse upgrade. (capital outlay)
- Accepted the HVAC trade bid for the Olathe Northwest High School cooling tower replacement project. (capital outlay)
- Approved the purchase of turf field maintenance equipment. (capital outlay)
- Accepted the proposal for architectural/engineering services for the Olathe North High School interior renovations project. (2016 Bond)
- Accepted the proposal for architectural/engineering services for performing arts center upgrades at Olathe East, Olathe North, Olathe Northwest and Olathe South high schools. (2016 Bond)
- Approved payment for consultative services and application processes for the district’s E-Rate application process. (general fund)
- Approved the annual renewal for Microsoft Education Licensing. (general fund)
- Approved the purchase of table saws with enhanced safety features for Industrial Technology classrooms at nine middle schools. (capital outlay)
- Approved the renewal and extension proposal for copiers and managed services across the district. (capital outlay)
- Approved the contract for services between the district and Contextual Learning Concepts LLC for professional development and training in math and career and technical education programs. (textbook and instructional materials budget)
- Approved 2018-19 professional policies and professional employee negotiated agreement
- Appointed Rick Schier as delegate and Brian Geary as alternate delegate for the Kansas Association of School Boards delegate assembly.
- Received information about future action items including student trips, textbooks, curriculum, bid schedules for construction projects, Canyon Creek Elementary playground equipment and surfacing, Cisco network equipment support and maintenance agreement, bids for wired and wireless video adapters, bids for wireless and data center updates, audit reports, and the library and inventory software maintenance agreement.
- Received the Head Start director’s report.
The complete agenda and supporting documents are available on BoardDocs.