- Olathe Public Schools
- Olathe Public Schools Homepage
10-11-21 — October 2021 Board Meeting Review
Oct. 11, 2021 ~ The Olathe Board of Education met Oct. 7 for its regular monthly meeting. The agenda included recognitions, one presentation, public comments and many action items.
- California Trail Middle School students Ayanna Jain, Devamayi Nair and Vaishnavi Lakshman earned honorable mention in ProjectCSGIRLS national competition for middle school girls.
- The district was named a Top 5 Employer in Kansas by Forbes.
- Joy Bondurant was honored for her years of service as Board Clerk and her upcoming retirement.
Learning Services Update
Associate Superintendent for Learning Services Michael Triplett and others from Learning Services provided the board with an overview of the district’s Market Value Assets (MVA) focus and real-world learning programs. They also discussed a 3DE program in collaboration with Junior Achievement and other opportunities being offered for students.
The board and administrators reviewed and discussed the district’s current COVID-19 mitigation procedures. The district continues to use a layered approach to mitigation strategies including increased ventilation, masking, hand washing, and social distancing when possible, among other strategies. The board plans review mitigation strategies again at the regularly scheduled November meeting.
In other business, the board:
- Approved a consent agenda including meeting minutes, financial and accounts payable reports; human resources report; student trips; renewal of Transeo work-based learning software license; and board policy revisions.
- Approved a property management contract with Cushman & Wakefield for newly purchased property at 400-500 N. Rogers Road. (capital outlay fund)
- Approved the purchase of a choral acoustic shell system for Santa Fe Trail Middle School. (capital outlay fund)
- Approved the annual renewal of KRONOS timekeeping maintenance and support licensing. (capital outlay fund)
- Approved the annual renewal of Microsoft software and support licensing. (capital outlay fund)
- Approved the purchase of additional furniture at Olathe West High School to meet growth needs. (capital outlay fund)
- Approved the renewal of ThoughtExchange subscription license. (grant funds)
- Approved the renewal of the InTouch cash receipting and online payment system. (capital outlay fund)
- Appointed Kristin Schultz as delegate and Shannon Wickliffe as alternate delegate to represent the district at the 2021 Kansas Association of School Boards delegate assembly meeting.
- Approved granting a temporary construction easement to Water District No. 1 of Johnson County and Rural Water District No. 7 at Olathe West.
- Approved granting a temporary construction easement to Evergy Kansas Central at Santa Fe Trail.
- Received information on several future action items including student trips, replacement ovens for Food Production Center, renewal of Cisco Systems equipment districtwide, board policy revisions, renewal of Frontline Education professional learning management system, renewal of Follett Destiny library circulation software, maintenance and support of server hardware, and proposed bond referendum.
- Received the Head Start director’s monthly report.
- Received the annual student health services report.
- Held an executive session to consult with its attorney.
- Held an executive session to discuss employer-employee negotiations.
The complete agenda is available by visiting the BoardDocs website.