- Olathe Public Schools
- Olathe Public Schools Homepage
3-18-20 — Parent Update Regarding COVID-19
March 18, 2020
Dear Olathe Public Schools parents,
I hope this message finds you and your family safe and healthy. As we communicated yesterday, the Governor of Kansas directed the closure of all Kansas schools through the end of the school year. The impact of COVID-19 has affected so much more than our district, and we are prepared to do what we can to help minimize the spread of the virus. This is an unprecedented time with many questions and we are working on getting you answers.
Our plan is to provide you with updates during our school closure to communicate any new information and answer pertinent questions. We are still working through important issues related to this closing and what it looks like. We aren’t able to answer all of those questions now, but below is what we can answer. Please keep monitoring your email as subsequent messages will be coming in the following days and weeks.
Reunification with Medicine and Medical Supplies
We are working on a plan to connect families with their child’s medicine and medical supplies and will communicate with more information when that plan has been put into place. Collecting personal items for staff and students will also be addressed at a later date. They are not accessible at this time.
Food for Students in Need
District staff are working on a plan to help our most vulnerable students receive meals. This plan will begin on Monday, March 23 and we will communicate with our most vulnerable families about this plan.
Events and Activities
All district student activities, athletics, competitions, travel, and trips are canceled through the end of the school year. We do not know what this looks like for key events like graduation, but we are hopeful that we can hold a delayed graduation ceremony later in the summer.
At this point the district is working on what supplemental learning opportunities will be available for students. We would anticipate some continuous learning opportunities for students starting the week of March 30. More information will be forthcoming.
Community Health Resources
- Johnson County has established the Johnson County Community COVID-19 hotline scheduled to be open as of March 18. Health professionals can be reached at 913-715-2819 from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. While there are many more questions and unknowns at this point in time, I wanted to provide as much pertinent information as possible. We will be sending updates to our staff on a weekly basis, and more frequently as needed.
- More information can be found at www.olatheschools.org/COVID19.
Other Important Resources:
- Open the Coping with Stress During an Infectious Disease Outbreak PDF from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
- Read the Talking to Kids About the Coronavirus information on the Child Mind Institute website
- Visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Information
Thank you for your patience and understanding as we are working through this unprecedented situation. We will continue to communicate more as we have more information.
I encourage our community to adhere to the guidelines and recommendations put in place by our local, state, and national government agencies. It is imperative that we do our part to limit the spread of COVID-19 in our community. Please take care of yourself and your loved ones.
Superintendent John Allison