- Olathe Public Schools
11-8-19 — Coach, Doctor Receive Thanks for Heroism
Nov, 8, 2019 ~ Members of the Olathe Board of Education met for their regular meeting Nov. 7. The meeting started with three recognitions of district staff, and two presentations.
American Education Week
ONEA District Educator Representative Kathy Meyer reminded board members that American Education Week, Nov. 18-22, celebrates public education and those who make a difference in ensuring that every child receives a quality education. This is the 98th annual celebration sponsored by the National Education Association.
Chief Human Resource Officer Jill Beckman, Staffing and Talent Acquisition Director Cathy Donovan and Talent Acquisition Manager Mechel Yekzaman gave an overview of the human capital goal of the district’s new Strategic Plan.
- Ashley Umphrey of Chisholm Trail Middle School is the 2019 Elementary Teacher of the Year by the Kansas Council for History Education.
- Derek Leppert of Olathe West High School is the 2019 Assistant Coach of the Year by the American Baseball Coaches Association.
- Dr. Kortnee Sorbin and Olathe West High School head baseball coach Rick Sabath took heroic measures to save the life of a West pitcher who suffered cardiac arrest during an away game in May. Sabath knew where the automated external defibrillator (AED) was located at the sports complex, and Sorbin came down from the stands when Brennan Connell collapsed.
- Former Board of Education member Amy Martin was recognized for her distinguished service to the Olathe community.
In other business, the board:
- Approved a consent agenda including meeting minutes, financial reports, accounts payable, human resources items, student trips and the purchase of instructional materials for the Career and Technology Education pathways.
- Approved the purchase of Cisco storage and server equipment. (2016 Bond funds)
- Approved the purchase and installation of pool bleachers for California Trail and Prairie Trail middle schools. (capital outlay)
- Approved the annual Microsoft licensing renewal. (general fund)
- Approved a contract for employee benefit consulting services.
- Accepted the architectural-engineering proposal for the 2020 aging facilities projects. (2016 Bond)
- Accepted the mechanical engineering consultant fee proposal for the summer 2020 HVAC projects. (2016 Bond and capital outlay)
- Accepted the bid to replace the roof at Claire Learning Center. (capital outlay)
- Accepted the bid to modify a rooftop mechanical screen at Olathe West High School. (capital outlay)
- Appointed Joe Beveridge as delegate and Shannon Wickliffe as alternate delegate to represent the district at the Kansas Association of School Boards assembly in December.
- Approved a potential special board meeting Thursday, Nov. 21.
- Received information on future action items including curriculum, textbooks, Follett Destiny library circulation and support agreement; bids for replacement lawn mowers and Internet service provider; student trips; audit reports; bids for professional audit services; proposals for professional audit services, banking services and student transportation services; bidding schedules for 2020 construction projects; construction management proposals for 2020 construction projects; schedule for partial roof replacement; bids for Cisco support and licensing agreement; professional learning management systems; and capital outlay resolution.
- Received the Head Start director’s monthly written report.
- Held an executive session to discuss non-elected personnel.
The complete agenda is available by visiting the BoardDocs website.