- eAcademy Homepage
7-20-20 — July 2020 Board Meeting Review
July 20, 2020 ~ Joe Beveridge was elected as the 2020-21 president of the Olathe Board of Education during the group’s July 16 meeting. Brian Geary will serve as vice president for the upcoming year.
The first meeting of the new fiscal year is also when the board appoints its clerk (Joy Bondurant), deputy clerk (Barb Behm) and treasurer (Merle Hastert). The board reappointed Michael Norris of Norris Keplinger Hicks & Welder LLC as the district’s general counsel.
Budget Development Update
Deputy Superintendent for Business and Operations John Hutchison shared preliminary budget information with the board for further guidance on access to available funding authority and levy considerations.
Diversity and Inclusion
Representatives from the Learning Services, Diversity and Engagement, and Human Resources departments shared information about work related to diversity and inclusion. Using the district’s Strategic Plan as a foundation, those three areas work together to help everyone (students and staff) respect cultural differences and work effectively with people from a range of social and cultural backgrounds. According to the district’s 2019 report card from the Kansas State Department of Education, 66.53 percent of Olathe students were white, 16.81 percent Hispanic, 7.33 percent African American, and 9.32 percent other races. Staff demographics for this past school year showed 86 percent of staff were white, 8 percent Hispanic, 3 percent African American, and 3 percent from other races. The board was briefed on measures already in process and areas of growth and opportunity.
In other business, the board:
- Approved a consent agenda including meeting minutes; financial, accounts payable and human resources reports; 1,116-hour policy for 2020-21; inclement weather days for the 2020-21 school year; designation of official newspaper for district notices; various appointments and delegations; purchase of Newsela software; elementary English language arts reading intervention system; high school master schedules, grades and credits, school admissions and school safety changes; resolution for document destruction; resolution for disposal of surplus property; depository and investment institutions; resolution for use of petty cash; resolution for use of district activity funds; and authorization of advance payment of claims.
- Approved the annual renewal of support for Solarwinds network monitoring software. (capital outlay)
- Approved the annual maintenance and licensing of the Horizon OneSource software for Food Services. (Food Service fund)
- Approved the annual renewal of the subscription and licensing support for the School Dude work order ticketing system. (capital outlay)
- Approved the renewal of annual maintenance and support for the district’s Palo Alto products. (capital outlay)
- Approved the contract for security guard services for the high schools. (general fund)
- Approved the purchase of hot spot wireless internet access points that may be checked out to students with no internet at home. (capital outlay)
- Approved the purchase of personal protective equipment and other COVID-related items for staff and students from multiple vendors on an as-needed basis. (CARES Act funding)
- Approved the purchase of electrical and plumbing supplies and materials for maintenance, repair and operations. (capital outlay)
- Approved the use of on-call trade services that have already been competitively bid. (capital outlay and other funds)
- Set its regular meeting dates for the first Thursday (generally) of each month, at 6 p.m. The third Thursday of the month may be reserved for possible special meetings. Future meeting dates will be Aug. 6, Sept. 3, Oct. 1, Nov. 5, Dec. 3, Jan. 14, 2021, Feb. 4, March 4, April 1, May 6, and June 3. The 2021-22 organizational meeting will be July 15, 2021.
- Appointed Kristin Schultz to serve as the board’s representative on the Head Start Policy Council, and Brad Boyd to serve as the board’s representative on the Olathe Public Schools Foundation.
- Approved the notice of budget hearing for publication in “The Olathe News” on July 24. The budget hearing will begin at 6 p.m. Aug. 6.
- Received information on future action items including various curriculum revisions, Healthcare Science curriculum, Read 180 and Math 180 software and curriculum, New Teacher Center contract, and replacement of the parking lot at Claire Learning Center.
- Received a written report on unencumbered cash balances as of July 1.
The complete agenda is available by visiting the BoardDocs website.