- 21st Century Academies
- 21st Century Academies Homepage
9-3-21 — September 2021 Board Meeting Review
Sept. 3, 2021 ~ The Olathe Board of Education met Sept. 2 for its regular meeting. The board held its recognitions and awards segment for the first time in more than a year, before hearing two presentations from district staff and taking public comments.
- Carly Bowden, a math teacher at Oregon Trail Middle School, was named a 2021 Lowell Milken Center Fellow.
- Becky Keely of Meadow Lane Elementary School is the Kansas Elementary Physical Education Teacher of the Year, as named by the Kansas Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance.
Diversity and Engagement
Associate Superintendent of Middle School Education Sarah Guerrero, Executive Director of Diversity and Engagement Erik Erazo, and Assistant Director of Diversity and Engagement Marquis Harris presented information about the department’s function. They explored the district’s journey to a more equitable educational environment for all stakeholders, and introduced a comprehensive plan for diversity, equity and inclusion in this school year.
Learning Services Update
Associate Superintendent of Learning Services Michael Triplett summarized early successes of each department within Learning Services for the 2021-22 school year. He also shared information on individual department goals for supporting teaching and learning which are aligned with the district’s Strategic Plan.
In other business, the board:
- Approved a consent agenda including meeting minutes, financial and accounts payable reports; human resources report; plan to keep board meetings in the Education Center through January 2022; student trip; and board policy revisions.
- Approved an agreement with Ad Astra Government Relations LLC to assist the district in pursuing its government relations goals in the 2021-22 school year.
- Approved the renewal of software maintenance and licensing for the OnBase imaging system. (capital outlay)
- Approved the adoption of the current Kansas Homeland Security Region L Hazard Mitigation Plan.
- Approved the purchase of annual software maintenance and licensing for Horizon OneSource. (Food Service fund)
- Approved the contract with the Olathe Police Department to provide school resource officers to Olathe’s secondary schools. (general fund)
- Approved a contract with the Olathe Police Department to provide a police resource instructor for the Public Safety Academy at Olathe West High School. (general fund)
- Approved a trip for the Olathe Northwest High School Electrathon team in late September. (Engineering Academy and Electrathon fund)
- Approved the notice of hearing for budget publication.
- Approved the notice of hearing to consider exceeding the revenue neutral rate.
- Received information on future action items including student trips, temporary construction easement at Santa Fe Trail Middle School, work-based learning software, music library storage system at Olathe North High School, KRONOS maintenance and support licensing, Microsoft software and support licensing, ThoughtExchange subscription license, board policy revisions, and furniture for Olathe West High School.
- Received an updated list of various appointments and designations for the 2021-22 school year.
- Held an executive session to discuss employer-employee negotiations.
The complete agenda is available by visiting the BoardDocs website.