- Tech 233
- Tech 233 Homepage
7-18-22 — July 2022 Board Meeting Review
July 18, 2022 ~ Shannon Wickliffe was elected as the 2022-23 president of the Olathe Board of Education during the group’s July 14 meeting. Brad Boyd will serve as vice president for the upcoming year.
The first meeting of the new fiscal year is also when the board appoints its clerk (Barbara Behm), deputy clerk (Heather Choate) and treasurer (Cassy Osborn). The board reappointed Michael Norris of Norris Keplinger Hicks & Welder LLC as the district’s general counsel.
School Resource Officer Andy Falcon was honored for his years of service to Olathe students and staff.
Summer Projects Update
Executive Director of Facilities and Operations Travis Palangi updated board members on the Operations Service Center’s projects to prepare facilities for the upcoming school year. This includes detailed summer cleaning, various work orders, capital outlay projects, construction, and on-call maintenance projects.
In other business, the board:
- Approved a consent agenda including meeting minutes, financial and accounts payable reports; human resources report; 1,116-hour policy for 2022-23; inclement weather days for 2022-23; designation of official newspaper for district notices; various appointments and designations; depository and investment institutions; resolution for document destruction; resolution for disposal of surplus property; resolution for use of petty cash; resolution for use of district student activity funds; and authorization of advance payment of claims.
- Approved the expenditure of funds for on-call trade services contracts. (capital outlay and other funds)
- Approved the expenditure of funds for supplies for maintenance and repairs. (capital outlay)
- Approved the purchase of replacement floor scrubbers. (capital outlay)
- Approved the bid for pool surface renovations at California Trail and Chisholm Trail middle schools. (2022 Bond)
- Approved the agreement for scoreboard and video board services. (capital outlay)
- Approved the purchase of upgraded safety and security systems. (2022 Bond)
- Adopted a resolution to establish 2022-23 regular meeting dates for the Board of Education generally the first Thursday of each month, in the Education Center, 14160 S. Black Bob Road, Olathe. Upcoming meetings are Aug. 4, Sept. 1, Oct. 6, Nov. 3, Dec. 1, Jan. 12, 2023, Feb. 2, March 2, April 6, May 4, and June 1. The Aug. 4, 2022 meeting will begin at 6:30 p.m. The 2023-24 organizational meeting will be July 13, 2023.
- Appointed Brian Connell to serve as the 2022-23 Head Start Policy Council board representative, and Joe Beveridge as the 2022-23 Olathe Public Schools Foundation board representative.
- Received information on future action items including a student trip, summer roofing consultant proposal, vehicle leasing and fleet management, and purchase of a bi-directional amplifier for Olathe South High School.
- Received a written report on unencumbered cash balances as of July 1.
- Held an executive session to discuss employer-employee negotiations.