- Tech 233
- Tech 233 Homepage
2-5-21 — February 2021 Board Meeting Review
Feb. 5, 2021 ~ The Olathe Public Schools Board of Education met Feb. 4 to hear two presentations and act on a variety of issues.
Read Across America
District Library Media Coordinator Lori Franklin and Olathe NEA President Leigh Anne Rogers highlighted Read Across America Day (March 2) and work in the district's libraries to include literature with diverse themes and characters.
Elementary Spanish Immersion Program
Michael Flenthrope, coordinator for world languages and the English Language Learners program, updated the board on the Spanish dual-language immersion program at Black Bob and Manchester Park elementary schools. This is its first year, focusing on kindergarten students. In 2021-22, the dual-language immersion program will expand to include first grade. Program information will be shared with parents during the upcoming Kindergarten Round-Up on Feb. 25.
Superintendent John Allison shared an overview of year and how students are doing academically in this unique school year. He also shared an update on the vaccination process. The board discussed bringing secondary students back to full time, in-person learning on March 1. The board voted 5-2 to bring secondary students back full time. This means that starting March 1, all students who chose in-person learning for the semester would be learning full time, in-person. The board action also allows any teacher who wants out of their contract due to COVID-19 concerns to be able to do so without penalty.
In other business, the board:
- Approved a consent agenda including meeting minutes; financial and accounts payable reports; human resources report; end-of-year special board meeting on June 30; and one student trip.
- Accepted the trade bid for aging facilities renovation projects to take place during summer. (2016 Bond and capital outlay funds)
- Approved the purchase of replacement commercial lawn mowers. (capital outlay)
- Approved the annual renewal of HP Nimble support and licensing. (capital outlay)
- Approved the annual renewal license for VMWare subscription services for virtual machine software. (capital outlay)
- Approved the annual support and maintenance renewal for the Business Plus financial and human resources management software. (capital outlay)
- Approved the purchase of a computer numerical control (CNC) router system and other related tools and accessories for the Design Academy. (capital outlay)
- Approved the purchase of a 3D printing and prototype system for the Engineering Academy. (grant funds and capital outlay)
- Approved the purchase of a music library storage system for Olathe East High School’s choir. (capital outlay)
- Approved the purchase of a choir acoustic shell system for Olathe South High School. (capital outlay)
- Approved the purchase of replacement football uniforms for Olathe north High School based on a prescribed replacement schedule of five years. (capital outlay)
- Approved a commissioned law enforcement officer with a USD 233 Police Department. (capital outlay)
- Approved resolutions to sell Series 2021A General Obligation School Bonds in the amount of $20 million and Series 2021B Taxable General Obligation Refunding Bonds in the amount of approximately $89.7 million.
- Received information on future action items including renewing the Synergy support and maintenance agreement; soliciting bids for replacement desktop computers, tablets and building uninterrupted power supply systems; purchasing texts and instructional materials for early childhood through fifth grade general music coursework; replacing food service equipment at the Food Production Center; replacing playground equipment and resurfacing the Green Springs Elementary playground; establishing the 2021-22 budget development goals and calendar; and considering a student trip for 2022.
- Received the Head Start director’s monthly written report.
- Held an executive session to consult with the district’s attorney.
- Held an executive session to discuss non-elected personnel. They returned from executive session to approve an employee contract.