- Early Childhood Programs
- Early Childhood Programs Homepage
3-6-23 — March 2023 Board Meeting Review
March 6, 2023 ~ The Olathe Board of Education met March 2 for its regular meeting. The agenda included a handful of recognitions and one presentation.
- The City of Olathe is a valued longtime community partner.
- Westview Elementary School earned ESEA Distinguished School designation from the National Association of Elementary and Secondary Education Act State Program Administrators.
- Four teachers — Rachel Kufeldt and Sara Mochel of Prairie Trail Middle School, Sarah Gregory of Clearwater Creek Elementary School, and Julie Miller of the Instructional Resource Center — maintained their status as National Board Certified teachers.
- District Activities Director Matt Johnson received the 2022 National Interscholastic Athletic Administrators Association Bruce D. Whitehead Distinguished Service Award.
- The district’s Pennies for Shoes Campaign raised more than $32,500 for the Olathe Mayor’s Children’s Fund.
Transportation and School Day Start/End Time Study
Dr. Jim McMullen, assistant superintendent for middle schools, updated the board on the ongoing transportation and school day start/end time study. Beginning in December 2022, the district embarked on an important process to study a change to school start/end times for the 2023-24 school year to help alleviate significant transportation challenges facing Olathe Public Schools. Dr. McMullen provided an update on the progress of the bell schedule study, including current challenges, an overview of student, staff, parent and Bell Schedule Committee feedback, and a presentation of three new bell schedule options for the Board’s consideration.
Moving forward, district staff will continue to analyze and evaluate the schedule options presented, as well as feedback received, and will return at the April 6 Board of Education meeting to provide a final recommended schedule for the Board to approve. The Board will decide whether or not to take action at that time. If the Board votes to approve an updated bell schedule, ONEA (the district’s bargaining unit) would need to ratify any changes to the bell schedule as part of the negotiated agreement. View the Three-Tier Bus Proposal overview
In other business, the board:
- Held an executive session to discuss non-elected personnel.
- Approved a consent agenda including meeting minutes, financial and accounts payable reports, human resources report, student trips, AP Biology resource, AP Chemistry resource, curriculum revisions for social studies courses, and board policy updates (policy JGCBB – Automated Defibrillators).
- Approved the award recommendation for a design consultant and provider of furniture, fixtures and equipment for the next three to five years. (Bond 2022)
- Approved the award recommendation for a marching band uniform provider, beginning with Olathe South High School uniforms, over the next three to five years. (capital outlay)
- Approved the purchase of custodial equipment to replace aging equipment in locations across the district. (Bond 2022)
- Approved the purchase of commercial mowers and groundskeeping equipment to replace aging equipment. (capital outlay)
- Approved renewal of the secondary college and career readiness resource system. (Perkins Grant, Learning Services, capital outlay)
- Approved renewal of the Food Services business management software. (Food Services Fund)
- Approved renewal of the student information system support and maintenance agreement. (capital outlay)
- Approved the purchase of replacement Apple devices for Olathe East and North high schools. (Bond 2022)
- Approved the proposal for architectural-engineering services for high school media centers and miscellaneous upgrade projects. (Bond 2022)
- Approved the purchase of wireless network controller equipment. (capital outlay)
- Approved the purchase of core switch replacement equipment for district data centers. (capital outlay)
- Approved the purchase of replacement staff technology devices. (Bond 2022)
- Approved the fiscal year 2023-24 budget development goals and calendar.
- Received information about future action items including dedicating a right-of-way along Kansas City Road, leasing space for the ACCESS/Focus programs and mental health program, on-call masonry repair services, student fees and miscellaneous charges for the 2023-24 school year, AP Statistics resources, and PreCalculus resources.
- Received the Head Start director’s monthly written report.
- Received an update on Bond 2022 projects.
- Held an executive session to consult with the district’s attorney.
The complete agenda is available on the BoardDocs website.