- Olathe Advanced Technical Center
5-3-19 — Impact of Teachers Felt at Board Meeting
May 3, 2019 ~ A video highlighting some of the many ways teachers impact their students’ lives was part of the Olathe Board of Education meeting on May 2.
Olathe National Education Association President Kathy Meyer gave a short presentation featuring National Teacher Day on May 7, and Teacher Appreciation Week, May 6-10. The annual event is sponsored by National PTA and the National Education Association. A video showed many students thanking their teachers for inspiring a lifelong love of learning and discovery, and making a difference in the children’s long-term success.
- The Olathe Noon Rotary Club was recognized for its longstanding community partnership with the district.
- Olathe Police Officer Joel Flaschbarth, who serves as a school resource officer with his canine partner, Zura, was recognized for his upcoming retirement from the force.
- Olathe North High School’s Science Bowl team (Eddie Dai, Jolly Petro, Khushi Kohli, Arri Kanna and Harvin Sangha) won the Kansas regional Science Bowl competition.
- Eddie Dai of Olathe North won one of three Grand Awards at the Kansas City Science Fair.
- Eleven district students were named National Merit Scholarship finalists. They are Robert Kullberg and Bryan Kwon of Olathe East High School; Brian Beach, Anchal Gupta, Harvin Sangha and Vanya Shivashankar of Olathe North; Ethan Grantz and Gracey Hiebert of Olathe Northwest High School; Logan George, Griffin Minter and Christian Petersen of Olathe South High School.
In other business, the board:
- Approved a consent agenda including meeting minutes, reports, student trips, Head Start grant planning, Language Essentials for Teachers of Reading and Spelling, The Writing Units of Study, curriculum, math manipulatives, purchase of career and technical education materials, College Board Advanced Placement exam fees, and purchase of astronomy textbooks.
- Approved the renewal of memberships with the Kansas Association of School Boards (KASB), National School Boards Association, and the KASB Legal Assistance Fund.
- Approved the purchase of laboratory equipment to be used in the Medical Professions Academy at Olathe North. (capital outlay fund)
- Approved the renewal of Splunk network monitoring software. (general fund)
- Approved the purchase of Apple iMac computers for the high school specialty areas. (2016 Bond)
- Approved the purchase of interactive display panels for the classrooms and other collaborative learning areas at Canyon Creek Elementary School. (2016 Bond)
- Approved a temporary construction easement for the City of Olathe’s Parker Terrace improvements supporting Fairview Elementary School.
- Approved the purchase and installation of rooftop ladders at 18 buildings this summer. (capital outlay)
- Accepted the proposal for HVAC preventative maintenance service at Olathe West High School, Summit Trail Middle School and the Mill Creek Campus. (capital outlay)
- Approved the purchase of Dell desktop computers as replacements for aged units across the district. (2016 Bond)
- Approved the purchase of digital, handheld emergency radios to replace outdated equipment in district buildings. (Safe and Secure Schools grant, capital outlay and 2016 Bond)
- Approved a contract to implement a visitor management system throughout the district. (Safe and Secure Schools grant)
- Approved the purchase of CISCO server and switching equipment at Canyon Creek Elementary. (2016 Bond)
- Approved a contractor to provide professional before- and after-school and summer programs at 36 district locations. (this is a fee-based program)
- Approved the purchase of general music, band and orchestra instruments for Canyon Creek Elementary. (capital outlay)
- Approved the purchase of a Xello (formerly Career Cruising) license for middle and high school level students. (no cost)
- Appointed Brian Geary to serve on the Kansas Association of School Boards nominating committee for 2019.
- Received information on future action items including student trips, bids for weight room equipment at Olathe Northwest High School, substitute management and employee evaluation software, Blackboard communication software, School Dude work order system renewal, general insurance policy renewals, contract with New Teacher Center, several curriculum-related purchases, 2020-21 district calendars, construction-related bids, and Head Start operating procedures.
- Received the Head Start director’s monthly report.
- Held two separate executive sessions to discuss non-elected personnel, and discuss the potential acquisition of real property.
Read the agenda and supporting documents by visiting the BoardDocs website.