- Santa Fe Trail Middle School
2-25-19 — Important Calendar Changes, Details
Feb. 25, 2019 ~
Dear Olathe Public Schools parents,
Thank you for your patience as we have worked through inclement weather this school year. In the Olathe Public Schools, we have a number of snow days built into the calendar. The state requires a certain number of student contact hours that we must fulfill each school year. Currently, our elementary and middle schools are within the number of hours they need, but we will need to make up some time at the high school level.
At this point, at the high school level only, we will implement the following changes beginning after Spring Break, on Monday, March 18, 2019.
- At the high school level only, the Monday, March 18 Professional Day will change to a full day of school for students in grades 9-12. Elementary and middle school will not have school this day and professional development will be held for district staff at those grade levels.
- High school will add 10 minutes to the beginning of the school day, starting the day at 7:50 a.m. each day of the week for all of fourth quarter.
- There will no longer be a late start on Thursdays during fourth quarter. Classes will begin at 7:50 a.m.
- On Wednesday, May 22 (the second day of finals for grades 9-11) the schedule will change from a half day to a full day.
- High school buses will run on the same schedule as they have all year.
Again, these changes will only impact high school. Elementary and middle school will remain with their current schedules for the remainder of the school year.
Please note that should subsequent inclement weather days be called, additional adjustments will need to be made to the high school schedule.
Our high school principals will be in touch with building specific details, including the revised fourth quarter bell schedule.
Olathe Public Schools Administration
Frequently Asked Questions
Why does this only impact high school at this time?
The state requires a certain number of student contact hours that we must fulfill each school year. Currently, our elementary and middle schools are within the number of hours they need, but we will need to make up some time at the high school level.
Why is the change being made for high school to start 10 minutes earlier, instead of keeping them 10 minutes later?
Changing the end of the school day would have impacted our bus schedules and would have pushed back elementary dismissal. Adding minutes to the start of the school day provided an opportunity to make up minutes without impacting elementary or middle school schedules.
District administration worked closely with the high school principals and the Olathe National Education Association to find a solution that would avoid having to add additional days to the end of the school year.
How does this impact bus routes?
Changing the high school start time to 7:50 a.m. does NOT impact any bus routes. The bus schedule for morning and afternoon routes remains the same for all levels.