- Prairie Trail Middle School
10-4-19 — Board Recognizes Wall of Honor Inductees
Oct. 4, 2019 ~ Four alums of the Olathe School District, along with one longtime district employee, were recognized by the Olathe Board of Education during the organization’s meeting Oct. 3. The recognition came just one night after the Olathe Public Schools Alumni Association’s Wall of Honor induction ceremony and banquet.
This year’s inductees to the Wall of Honor are Michael Boehm, Olathe High School Class of 1978; Melissa Harness Flores, Olathe North High School Class of 1998; Kim Bowen Harbur, Olathe High School Class of 1975; and Sam Perkins, John P. St. John Memorial High School Class of 1949. Former superintendent Ron Wimmer is this year’s Distinguished Person of Honor. Photos and short biographies of all five individuals are on a touch-screen kiosk in the Education Center lobby, 14160 S. Black Bob Road, Olathe.
Safety Services Update
Assistant Superintendent for Secondary Education Jim McMullen and Manager of Safety and Security Rick Castillo, updated board members on safety and security throughout the district. The district’s Emergency Operations Plan is in the final revision stage with a planned submission to the Board of Education later this school year.
A Safe and Secure Schools grant from the Kansas Department of Education allowed the acquisition of crisis communication radios for high schools, Olathe Advanced Technical Center, West Dennis Learning Center, Prairie Learning Center, Claire Learning Center, and the two district activity centers in the 2018-19 school year. A second part of that grant funded a visitor management system. This year a matching Safe and Secure Schools grant will provide funding for upgrading safety systems.
Strategic Plan Update
Assistant Superintendent of Support Services Jessica Dain presented the district’s updated strategic plan based on Portrait of a Graduate competencies. The strategic plan is used for many purposes including, to set priorities, focus energy and resources, and strengthen operations. It was developed with input from district leaders, all staff, and stakeholders in the community. More than 1,000 community members were involved in the process.
The strategic plan is based on four core values, all focused on achieving the Portrait of a Graduate.
- High academic expectations for all
- Behavior and social-emotional development for all
- Human capital
- Effective systems and prioritized resources
Later in the meeting, board members voted to implement the strategic plan.
- Olathe Public Schools Alumni Association Wall of Honor recipients were recognized for their outstanding contributions in personal/professional life; community/humanitarian service; or lifelong commitment to educational excellence.
- Ryan Moddesette of Olathe Northwest High School earned a perfect score on the ACT exam.
- Santa Fe Trail Middle School was named a School of Excellence by the Civic Advocacy Network.
- Megan Wendleton of California Trail Middle School was named the 2019-20 Outstanding Overall Art Educator of the Year by the Kansas Art Education Association.
In other business, the board:
- Approved implementation of the district’s strategic plan.
- Approved a consent agenda including meeting minutes, financial reports, accounts payable, human resources items and student trips.
- Approved an agreement with Ad Astra Government Relations LLC for the 2019-20 school year.
- Approved the relocation of utility lines near Central Elementary. (capital outlay)
- Accepted the carpet purchase proposal for the Education Center reconfiguration project. (capital outlay)
- Accepted the roofing consultant fee proposal for summer 2020 roofing projects. (2016 Bond)
- Approved the purchase recommendation for annual quantities of white copy paper. (general fund)
- Approved the annual contract for on-call snow removal services to help the Facilities and Operations staff respond to district needs related to unforeseen weather events. (capital outlay)
- Approved the purchase of replacement playground equipment for Heritage Elementary School. (capital outlay)
- Approved the expenditure of funds for the purchase of bulk rock salt for parking lots during inclement weather. (capital outlay)
- Approved the recommendation to purchase a laser cutter/engraver system for the 21st Century Design Academy at Olathe East High School. (general fund)
- Approved three student trips for this fall.
- Received information about two student trips, a sanitary sewer easement at Central Elementary School, Kansas Association of School Boards convention delegate assembly appointments, bids for Microsoft education licensing, bids for server and storage solutions, the purchase of instructional materials for two career and technical education pathways, the architectural and engineering proposal for 2020 aging facilities projects, and the pool bleacher procurement schedule for two middle schools.
- Received the Head Start director’s monthly written report.
- Received the student health services 2018-19 annual report.
The complete agenda is available by visiting the BoardDocs website.