- Meadow Lane
3-12-19 — Library, Police Department Honored by School Board
March 12, 2019 ~ The March 7 Olathe Board of Education meeting began with appreciation for two longtime community partners: Olathe Public Library and Olathe Police Department.
Among its many efforts, the library has created reading initiatives for Olathe students, and library staff volunteer in schools and assist with the Back to School Outreach in August. Children’s librarian and school liaison Kate Capps was recognized for her support as she prepares for retirement.
Olathe Police Chief Steve Menke is also retiring this year, and was honored for his leadership in the safety of Olathe students, schools and staff. His support has included serving on the 21st Century Public Safety Academy steering team, attending school lunches, promoting the School Resource Officer program, and other acts of patronage.
Opioid Antagonist Preparations
Director of Health Services Sharon Morris updated board members on plans to store emergency opioid antagonists (Naloxone) in the secondary schools’ nurse offices. The Kansas House of Representatives passed a bill in 2016 and the Kansas Board of Pharmacy established a statewide protocol for this drug. She reviewed how opioids affect the human body and how Naloxone is used when a drug overdose is suspected. Naloxone will be stored in a secure location in the middle and high schools, and those nurses will be trained according to the Kansas Board of Pharmacy protocol.
- Olathe North High School teacher Deirdre Zongker was a grand prize winner in the Crayola Thank a Teacher Sweepstakes. She was nominated by student Akerth Jain.
- The district’s Community Development Department, represented by Heather Schoonover and Janet Bachnick, received the Excellence in Community Service Award from United Community Services of Johnson County for work on the Impact Olathe initiative.
- Four district educators successfully renewed their national certification from the Board for Professional Teaching Standards. They are Phillip Holmes and Dennis O’Connell from Pioneer Trail Middle School; Christine Walker from Arbor Creek Elementary; and Leigh Anne Rogers from Forest View Elementary.
- Several middle school counselors were recognized for their work on career education including two career fairs: Jennifer Barnhart, Stephanie Beyer, Jessica Colson Adell, Jaime Englis, Sarah Essex, Sherry Giebler, Paul Giffin, Cindy Hey, Rachel Ilaria, Jone Lee, Emily Manker, Brenda Robinson, Ashley Rodden, Sue Sandbothe, Erika Short, Margaret Smith, Skylar Stewart, Margo Twaddle, Karen Ufford, Katie Vena and Travis Waters.
- The district thanked representatives from the Baptist-Trinity Lutheran Legacy Foundation for an $18,750 grant to purchase vision tools to help economically disadvantaged students.
In other business, the board:
- Approved a consent agenda of routine items including meeting minutes, reports, student trips, stocking Naloxone in secondary schools and providing training to nurses, revision to the K-12 library media standards and curriculum, revision to the high school science curriculum, and revision to the middle school technology curriculum resource and training.
- Approved the auditing services contract for the period ending June 30, 2019. (general fund)
- Approved the annual renewal of the Synergy student information system support and maintenance agreement. (general fund)
- Approved the contract for implementing a cash receipting and online payment solution. (capital outlay)
- Granted a temporary construction easement and permanent sanitary sewer easement for sanitary sewer upgrades around Ridgeview Elementary.
- Accepted bids for interior renovation at Olathe North High School to take place this summer. (2016 Bond)
- Accepted bids for high school performing arts center upgrades to take place this summer. (2016 Bond and capital outlay)
- Approved the purchase of floor cleaning and custodial equipment for Canyon Creek Elementary. (capital outlay)
- Approved the bid for white copy paper to replenish the district’s warehouse supply. (general fund)
- Approved the bid for replacement football uniforms at Olathe East High School. (Olathe Public Schools Foundation grant and district activity fund)
- Approved the bid for the opening day library collection at Canyon Creek Elementary. (capital outlay)
- Approved the purchase of security camera systems for the district athletic centers and the east part of the West Dennis Support Center. (2016 Bond)
- Approved revisions to board policies DFG, ED, GCX, KN and GAEA. This updates language in the Notice of Non-Discrimination to include ethnicity, sexual orientation and gender identity.
- Approved a new fee schedule for bus transportation. The change establishes three fee amounts depending on when the fee is paid; March 1-April 30, May 1-July 31, or Aug. 1 and later.
- Approved changes to the transportation safety variances for 2019-20.
- Approved two student trips.
- Designated a full day on April 12 as an inclement weather day as required by the Kansas State Department of Education.
- Received information on future action items including student trips, the 2019-20 budget development goals and calendar, student fees and miscellaneous charges for 2019-20, renewal of network monitoring software, renewal of time clock software and hardware support, digital radio communications solution, temporary construction easements, interior door cylinder lock replacement project, and capital improvement projects.
- Received the Head Start director’s written monthly report.
- Held an executive session near the end of the meeting to discuss non-elected personnel.
The complete agenda is available by visiting the BoardDocs website.