- Manchester Park
- Manchester Park Elementary Homepage
5-7-21 — May 2021 Board Meeting Review
May 7, 2021 ~ The Olathe Public Schools Board of Education met on May 6 to hear three presentations and act on a variety of topics.
Teacher Appreciation Week, May 3-7
Olathe NEA President Leigh Anne Rogers shared stories of incredible district educators in honor of Teacher Appreciation Week (May 3-7). On social media, you can use #ThankATeacher to note how teachers impact students’ lives every day. She also encouraged everyone to reach out directly to thank a teacher for all they do.
Members of the Learning Services team updated board members on staff efforts related to career development and student exposure to different career pathways starting in elementary school and continuing through middle and high school. Updates were also shared regarding Market Value Assets (MVA) and high school students. Career and Technical Education Coordinator Barbra Gonzales, 21st Century Academy Coordinator Angela Epps; and Counseling, College and Career Readiness Coordinator Alicia Jackson described ongoing work with the Kauffman Foundation, supporting MVAs and areas of emphasis in the district.
Social Emotional Learning and Mental Health
Director of Social Emotional Learning and Mental Health Angie Salava discussed SEL support for families and students available this summer. The Olathe Public Schools will offer free mental and behavioral health services to all district staff, students and their families this summer.
Individual mental health sessions are available for students, staff and families. Parents may request behavior consultations with behavior specialists. Group sessions are offered on anxiety and stress reduction, anger management, social skills, and how to manage a child’s challenging behaviors.
In other business, the board:
- Approved a consent agenda including meeting minutes; financial and accounts payable reports; human resources report; curriculum revision; new textbook resource; and the purchase of professional training from Teachers College Reading and Writing Project at Columbia University, to be paid for with a LiNK grant.
- Approved payment to Kansas Association of School Boards and National School Boards Association for membership and affiliation renewals.
- Approved a memorandum of understanding with Kansas School for the Deaf providing access for their students to attend programs at Olathe Advanced Technical Center.
- Approved the auditing services contract with Allen, Gibbs & Houlik, L.C. for the period ending June 30, 2021. (general fund)
- Approved a multi-year contract for background investigation services for Human Resources. (general fund)
- Approved a contract for wood gym floor refinishing services. (capital outlay)
- Approved the purchase of choral risers for Briarwood, Heatherstone and Pleasant Ridge elementary schools. (capital outlay)
- Approved the purchase of Seesaw for Schools software and support. (capital outlay)
- Approved a bid for the 2021 interior door cylinder lock replacement project at Mission Trail Middle School. (capital outlay)
- Approved the purchase of wood shop equipment tools and related supplies for California Trail Middle School. (capital outlay)
- Approved the purchase of audio/visual system upgrades at Olathe North High School. (capital outlay)
- Approved the Veeam software solutions as backup and recovery for district data file storage. (capital outlay)
- Approved the installation of data cabling and network connections for the interior reconfiguration project at the Instructional Resource Center. (capital outlay)
- Approved the lease of a Ricoh large-format flatbed printer for the Graphic Communications Department. (capital outlay)
- Approved the purchase of furniture for middle school technical education classrooms. (capital outlay)
- Approved the purchase of library furniture for California Trail. (capital outlay)
- Approved the purchase of software upgrades for district security cameras. (capital outlay)
- Approved the purchase of orchestra instrument strings. (general fund)
- Appointed Brian Geary to the KASB nominating committee and LeEtta Felter to the KASB governmental relations network.
- Approved the budget development goals and calendar for fiscal year 2021-22 which includes a public hearing and adoption of the budget on Sept. 2.
- Approved the purchase of new resources and instructional materials for middle school career and technical education courses. (textbook/instructional materials 2020-21 budget)
- Received information on future action items including the official name of Olathe’s virtual school, salary reimbursement agreement with KidsTLC, Xello subscription, School Dude work order ticketing system, Solarwinds network monitoring software, substitute management and employee evaluation software, Edgenuity physical education software, Nearpod software, Blackboard communications software, Mosyle mobile device management system, Panorama social-emotional learning assessment resource, general insurance policies, milk and juice bids for 2021-22, and elementary and secondary level reading intervention materials.
- Received the Head Start director’s monthly written report.
- Held an executive session to consult with the district’s attorney.
The complete agenda is available by visiting the BoardDocs website.