11-6-19 — 2019 Veterans Day Events Preview
Nov. 6, 2019 ~ The history of Veterans Day, originally known as Armistice Day, dates back to Nov. 11, 1919. Olathe students and staff will celebrate the 100th anniversary of Veterans Day with remembrances and ceremonies on or near that date. Here is a list of several events being planned at schools.
- Arbor Creek Elementary School — Program in the gym at 2 p.m. Monday, Nov. 11 features a bagpipe player and a trumpet performance of Taps. All veterans are invited.
- Bentwood Elementary School — Program in the gym at 2 p.m. Monday, Nov. 11; photo wall of veterans related to students, artwork, writing samples, Honor Guard posts colors, history presentation, patriotic music, introduction of veterans, representatives from the Spencer C. Duncan Make It Count Foundation and Honor Flight KC.
- Brougham Elementary School — Veterans Day breakfast (8 a.m.) and assembly (8:40 a.m.) Monday, Nov. 11.
- Cedar Creek Elementary School — Building a veterans’ wall from 3-3:30 p.m. Monday, Nov. 11; students will bring a brick to honor a specific veteran or write a letter to thank a veteran.
- Central Elementary School — Assembly at 9 a.m. Monday, Nov. 11; the choir will perform; two veterans will talk with students and teach them how to salute.
- Forest View Elementary School — Assembly and parade begins at 8:30 a.m. Monday, Nov. 11; students invite veterans to see a wall of honor, enjoy singing, see a flag folding ceremony, and presentation of the flags by a Scout troop.
- Heatherstone Elementary School — Guests enjoy breakfast in the library on Friday, Nov. 8, with background music by Olathe East High School musicians. Olathe East drumline escorts veterans to the gym at 9 a.m. for an assembly including Special Chorus performance and introduction of veterans. Guests will receive a special gift made by students as they leave.
- Indian Creek Elementary School — Assembly on Thursday, Nov. 14 features the Bobcat Singers and presentation based on the book "America's White Table."
- Mahaffie Elementary School — Assembly at 8:30 a.m. Monday, Nov. 11.
- Manchester Park Elementary School — Veteran John C. Smith will speak to third-graders at 9 a.m. Tuesday, Nov. 12.
- Pleasant Ridge Elementary School — Veterans Day musical by fourth- and fifth-graders 2 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Nov 7. A reception follows the evening event.
- Ridgeview Elementary School — Assembly in the gym at 8:30 a.m. Friday, Nov. 8; many veterans in attendance; guest speakers and a performance by the Special Chorus.
- Scarborough Elementary School — Assembly at 9 a.m. Monday, Nov. 11 includes Special Chorus, information about the history of Veterans Day, and honoring veterans in attendance.
- Sunnyside Elementary School — Special presentation begins at 9 a.m. Monday, Nov. 11; fire truck displays a large American flag and local Scouts will present the colors; special guests will receive a gift; students of all grade levels perform; art displayed throughout the school.
- Walnut Grove Elementary School — Veterans Day performance by second- and fourth-graders at 2:30 p.m. Monday, Nov. 11 for invited veterans.