- Green Springs
- Green Springs Elementary Homepage
2-3-23 — February 2023 Board Meeting Review
Feb. 3, 2023 ~ The Olathe Board of Education met Feb. 2 for its regular meeting. The agenda included a school spotlight and two presentations.
- Austin Allen of Olathe South High School won Best in Show for his multi-media entry in the Olathe Martin Luther King Jr. contest.
- Sixteen students were recognized for top honors at the fall Olathe Middle School Mathletics Competition. First place teams included Frontier Trail Middle – sixth grade, Chisholm Trail Middle – seventh grade, and a tie at the eighth grade level between California Trail and Prairie Trail.
Clearwater Creek Elementary Principal Nate Kremer spoke about his school, established in 2004, and home to 540 students and 72 staff members. He shared how well Clearwater Creek Coyotes did on their math and English language arts during the 2021-22 school year. The focus at Clearwater Creek is to establish positive relationships, continue with Positive Behavioral Intervention Supports which was fully implemented a year ago, and raising student achievement with Multi-Tiered Systems of Support and Professional Learning Communities.
Learning Services Update
Interim Assistant Superintendent of Learning Services LuAnn Hermreck and others from that division gave a brief presentation of the six teams collaborating to provide continuous improvement of leadership, teaching and student learning. Learning Services is comprised of assessment and curriculum, behavior and social emotional learning, instructional technology and library media, professional development and instructional coaching, new educator and university partnerships, and special services.
In other business, the board:
- Approved a consent agenda including meeting minutes, financial and accounts payable reports, human resources report, student trips, and established 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, June 28 as the date and time of the board’s end-of-year special meeting.
- Approved the annual on-call plumbing contracts. (capital outlay)
- Approved renewal of the InTouch cash receipting and online payment system. (capital outlay)
- Approved trade bids for the Olathe South High School and Indian Trail Middle School traffic circulation improvement project. (Bond 2022)
- Accepted a proposal to replace baseball infield and outfield turf at both district athletic complexes, as well as installing turf at the ODAC south grass soccer field. (Bond 2022)
- Approved renewing a student data and analytics platform. (capital outlay)
- Accepted a proposal to repair bleachers at College Boulevard Athletic Complex. (Bond 2022)
- Appointed Julie Steele to serve on the Kansas Association of School Boards Legislative Committee to complete the remainder of Brad Boyd’s term. Boyd has been elected to the House of Representatives and declines finishing the KASB committee term.
- Received information about future action items including several student trips, purchase of custodial equipment and commercial lawn mowers, replacement of high school marching band uniforms, on-call moving services, replacement Apple devices, Advanced Placement biology resource, Advanced Placement chemistry resource, curriculum revisions for social studies courses, board policy updates, construction management proposal for the new Operations Service Center and Career and Technical Education Center project, secondary college and career readiness resource system renewal, student information system support and maintenance renewal, software renewal for Food Services business management, visitor management system renewal, and budget development goals and calendar for fiscal year 2023-24.
- Received the Head Start director’s monthly written report.
- Received an update on Bond 2022 projects.
- Held an executive session to discuss employer-employee negotiations.
- Held an executive session to discuss non-elected personnel.
The complete agenda is available by visiting the BoardDocs website.