- Olathe Public Schools
10-4-18 — Board Recognizes Wall of Honor Inductees
Oct. 5, 2018 ~ Three alums of the Olathe School District, and two longtime district employees were recognized by the Olathe Board of Education during the group’s meeting Oct. 4. The recognition came just one night after the Olathe Public Schools Alumni Association’s Wall of Honor induction ceremony and banquet.
This year’s inductees into the Wall of Honor are Carlotta Dorst Belcher, John P. St. John Memorial High School Class of 1952; LeRoy O. Homan, John P. St. John Memorial High School Class of 1955; and Ken Roberts, Olathe High School Class of 1963. Two Distinguished Person of Honor recognitions were given this year: former district superintendent Patricia All and district / Olathe historian Bob Courtney. Photos and short biographies of all five individuals can be seen on a touch-screen kiosk in the Education Center lobby.
Proposed High School Program
Assistant Superintendent of Support Services Jessica Dain and Career and Technical Education Coordinator Barbra Gonzalez shared information on a proposal to develop and offer Aviation Maintenance - Avionics to Olathe juniors and seniors. The idea began last fall when Garmin representatives approached the district about building a partnership that could help solve an industry labor need for electronics technicians. District leaders worked with Garmin, Johnson County Community College and the Kansas State Department of Education to design a new career and technical education pathway.
If approved, the program would be offered at the Olathe Advanced Technical Center starting in the 2019-20 school year. The board will be asked to approve curriculum for the aviation maintenance pathway at its Nov. 1 meeting.
- Olathe Public Schools Alumni Association Wall of Honor recipients were recognized for their outstanding contributions in personal/professional life; community/humanitarian service; or lifelong commitment to educational excellence.
- Rod Smith, principal of Frontier Trail Middle School, was named the Middle School Principal of the Year by the Kansas Association of Secondary School Principals.
- John Hutchison, deputy superintendent of business and operations, received the International Eagle Award from the Association of School Business Officials International.
In other business, the board:
- Approved a consent agenda including meeting minutes, financial reports, accounts payable, human resources items, multiple student trips, curriculum, and online assessments for career technical programs and 21st Century Academies.
- Approved the purchase of software maintenance and licensing for the district’s imaging system. (general fund)
- Approved trade bids for Canyon Creek Elementary School. (2013 Bond)
- Accepted the proposal for architectural/engineering services for the 2019 interior renovation of Heartland Early Childhood Center. (2016 Bond)
- Accepted a roofing consultant proposal for summer 2019 roofing projects. (2016 Bond)
- Approved a student trip for the Olathe East High School band. (Booster Club and fundraising efforts)
- Received information about future action items including delegate appointments to the Kansas Association of School Boards Convention, curriculum, Aviation Maintenance/Avionics pathway, Microsoft education licensing agreement, Head Start supplemental funds, architectural/engineering and mechanical engineering proposals for 2019 projects, copy paper bids, visitor management system, copier and managed services contract renewal, student trips, and board policy revisions.
- Received the annual student health services report, the safety and security initiative logo, and the October Head Start report.
- Held two executive sessions to discuss employer-employee negotiations and personnel.
The complete agenda and supporting documents are available on BoardDocs.