- Olathe Public Schools
8-27-18 — Challenging Programs, College Featured in Special Events
Aug. 27, 2018 ~ The Olathe Public Schools counselors have planned a variety of special events for middle and high school students and their parents. Beginning in mid-September, the events will focus on planning for college, the array of challenging programs offered in high school, funding post-secondary education, etc.
- Preparing for College is the name of a Sept. 11 event for freshmen, sophomores, juniors and their parents. The event begins at 6 p.m. in the auditorium of Olathe Northwest High School, 21300 College Boulevard. This event will give parents information they need to help prepare their student for life after high school: information about choosing and visiting a post-secondary institution, how to apply, and how to pay for post-secondary education.
- The District Scholarship and Financial Aid Night will be held Sept. 12 at Olathe East High School, 14545 W. 127th Street. From 5:30-6:30 p.m., seniors and their parents may network with local organizations offering scholarships. Beginning at 6:30 p.m., a representative from Kansas State University's Office of Financial Aid will talk about the aid process, how to financially plan for college, etc. Any district family who wants to learn about financing a college education is welcome.
- The KC Metro College Expo, from 6-8 p.m. Sept. 17, will be held at Olathe West High School, 2200 W. Santa Fe Street. More than 100 college representatives will share information about their schools and answer questions from parents and students. The event is open to all district families and provides an opportunity for younger students to gather initial information from colleges.
- The Hispanic Family College Fair on Sept. 25 will be very similar to the Sept. 17 event, but focus on Spanish-speaking families and students. The event will take place from 6-8 p.m. in the Commons of Olathe North High School, 600 E. Prairie.
- A presentation about the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) on Sept. 26 is geared to student-athletes and their parents. Olathe West High School, 2200 W. Santa Fe Street, will host the informational event at 6 p.m. in the auditorium. Eighth- and ninth-grade students and their parents will especially be interested in how to navigate the NCAA eligibility process.
- The Olathe School District FAFSA Completion Event will be held from 5-8 p.m. Oct. 3 in the Commons at Olathe South High School, 1640 E. 151st Street. Seniors and their families will complete their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) with the help of college financial aid experts. Please bring a copy of your 2017 tax return and FSA identification. Families must sign up for a time slot by visiting https://goo.gl/forms/cTYmnBmswhER2F5y2. Space is limited; please reserve a spot early. Those who register, but who are unable to attend should call 913-780-7874 to cancel their reservation.
- The Olathe Eighth-Grade Career Fair will take place from 8 a.m.-3 p.m. on Oct. 23 at Johnson County Community College, 12345 College Boulevard. This event, open to eighth-grade students only, will give students an opportunity to network with representatives from over 90 local businesses. Students will learn about potential careers and available jobs in the Olathe area. In addition, students representing 21st Century Academies, college and technical education programs, and the Olathe Advanced Technical Center will be on hand to answer questions and make students aware of these opportunities at the high school level. Students will be bused from their middle schools for this event.
- College Opportunity Night will be held from 6-8 p.m. Oct. 30 at Olathe North High School, 600 E. Prairie. This college fair / information night is focused on providing college information to students of color and their families. The evening features presentations and information from historically black colleges and universities, and scholarship opportunities will be highlighted.