- Olathe Public Schools
7-16-18 — Board Votes Wickliffe as President for Upcoming Year
July 16, 2018 ~ Shannon Wickliffe was elected president of the Olathe Board of Education during the group’s regular meeting on July 12. Joe Beveridge was elected vice president for the 2018-19 school year.
The board also appointed a clerk (Joy Bondurant), deputy clerk (Barbara Behm), treasurer (Merle Hastert), and school attorney (Michael G. Norris of Norris & Keplinger, L.L.C.) for the new fiscal year.
In other business, the board:
- Approved a consent agenda including meeting minutes, various reports, adopting the 1,116-hour policy for 2018-19, designating May 24 as an inclement weather day, designating “The Olathe News” as the official district newspaper and the “Kansas City Star” as the backup official newspaper, various appointments and designations, instructional materials and textbooks, student trips, resolution for document destruction, resolution for disposal of surplus property, investment institutions for fiscal year 2018-19, resolution for petty cash funds, resolution for use of district activity funds, authorization of advance payments of claims, and the purchase of bilingual curriculum for the Head Start program.
- Approved the school resource officer inter-local agreement for 2018-19 which provides 12 full-time school resource officers and two full-time supervisors.
- Approved the lease of two additional student transportation vehicles to be shared by middle schools and the Olathe Advanced Technical Center, and other vehicles as replacements in the Operations Service Center fleet. (capital outlay funds)
- Approved the purchase of 14 MacBook Pros for Mac Lab teachers at the high school level. (Bond 2016 funds)
- Approved the purchase of Microsoft Surface Pro tablets to replace current laptop computers being used by teachers at the high school level. (Bond 2016 funds)
- Approved the purchase of 4,000 EndPoint Security Asset licenses for Microsoft Surface Pro tablets. (Bond 2016 funds)
- Approved aging facilities change orders in excess of $20,000 for track repair at Olathe South and Olathe Northwest high schools. (Bond 2016 funds)
- Adopted a board meeting schedule of 6 p.m. in the Education Center, with the third Thursday of the month being reserved for possible special meetings. Board meeting dates for 2018-19 will be Aug. 2, Sept. 6, Oct. 4, Nov. 1, Dec. 6, Jan. 10, 2019, Feb. 7, March 7, April 4, May 2 and June 6. The 2019-20 organizational meeting will be on July 11, 2019.
- Appointed board members to serve with various organizations: Brian Geary to the Head Start Policy Council, Amy Martin to the Olathe Public Schools Foundation Board, and LeEtta Felter to the Kansas Association of School Boards Governmental Relations Network.
- Received information on future action items including a student trip, high school choral music curriculum, and Mastery Connect support for all classrooms.
- Received an update on unencumbered cash balances as of July 1.
The complete agenda and supporting documents are available online at BoardDocs.