- Olathe Public Schools
2-5-18 — Board Approves Trade Bids for Canyon Creek Elementary
Feb. 5, 2018 ~ Groundbreaking for the district’s 36th elementary school will happen soon, according to a report to Olathe Board of Education members on Feb. 1. Canyon Creek Elementary will be built near 97th Terrace and Gleason Road in the northwest area of the district and relieve overcrowding at Cedar Creek Elementary School.
Design and Construction Manager Travis Palangi and Executive Director of General Administration/Elementary Brent Yeager gave the board an update on construction plans for Canyon Creek. Later in the meeting, they submitted trade bids for the building which were approved by the board.
Assistant Superintendent of Teaching and Learning Jessica Dain and District Math Coordinator Bridgette Stevens presented the board with information and updates in Kansas mathematics testing standards and proposed changes moving forward.
- Don and Cheryl Everhart were thanked for launching the hands-on geographic-based field trip experience Main Street U.S.A. in 2002 and serving more than 65,000 elementary students before their retirement earlier this school year.
- Chisholm Trail Middle School science teacher Melissa Kinzer was one of 32 teachers statewide to receive the Kansas Horizon Award for exemplary work during her first year as a teacher.
- Olathe Police Department Officers Jeff Jewett and Bryan Jaegers were recognized for their many years of service as school resource officers.
- Olathe East High School QUEST students won the Spartan Award in the Burns & McDonnell Battle of the Brains competition and received $20,000 in grants.
- The Olathe Northwest High School volleyball team won the Kansas 6A championship title.
- Mohamed Farid of Chisholm Trail earned the Best in Show award in the recent Martin Luther King Jr. contest for his multi-media entry.
- Hanna Carney of Olathe South High School and Zoe Kulphongpatana of Olathe Northwest both earned perfect ACT scores.
In other business, the board:
- Approved a consent agenda of routine items including meeting minutes, departmental reports, student trips, curriculum, and renewal of a neighborhood revitalization area with the City of Olathe.
- Set a special meeting with City of Olathe representatives on Thursday, March 22, to discuss the collaborative partnership between the two entities.
- Set a special end-of-year meeting at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, June 27.
- Approved the replacement of risers and acoustical shells for Olathe Northwest’s music program. (capital outlay funds)
- Approved the purchase of two additional riding lawn mowers for the grounds crew to keep up with the addition of Olathe West, the Mill Creek Campus, and Summit Trail Middle School properties. (capital outlay funds)
- Accepted trade bids for Canyon Creek Elementary School. (2013 Bond funds)
- Accepted trade bids for the 2018 middle school entry expansion and renovation projects at Frontier Trail, Indian Trail, Pioneer Trail and Santa Fe Trail schools. ((2016 Bond funds)
- Accepted trade bids for this summer’s roofing projects. (2016 Bond funds)
- Approved the purchase of track repairs at Oregon Trail Middle School, and Olathe Northwest and South high schools. (2016 Bond funds)
- Approved the construction management services proposal for this year’s aging facilities projects. (2016 Bond funds)
- Approved the bid for audio/visual equipment and installation in auditoriums at Olathe East, North and South high schools. (2016 Bond funds)
- Accepted a proposal for the purchase and installation of Cisco wireless equipment and services as part of a proof of concept project at Olathe South and West high schools, and California Trail Middle School. (2016 Bond funds)
- Authorized the sale of the North Lindenwood Support Center for a sales price of $1.1 million.
- Received information on several future action items including curriculum, textbooks, student trips, gymnasium audio system at Summit Trail, budget development goals and calendar, student fees and miscellaneous charges for the 2018-19 school year, and the potential for using rental cars for staff and student travel.
- Received the Head Start director’s monthly report.
- Held an executive session to discuss personnel matters and meet with attorney.
The complete agenda and supporting documents are available online at https://www.boarddocs.com/ks/olathe/Board.nsf/Public.