- Olathe Public Schools
1-17-18 — Board Names District's 36th Elementary School
Jan. 17, 2018 ~ The first Board of Education meeting in 2018 was highlighted by the swearing in of a new member and the naming of the district’s 36th elementary school. The board met for its regular meeting on Jan. 16.
Brian Geary was sworn in as the board’s newest member, having been elected in November to fill a seat vacated by longtime member Mike Poland. Board members Brent McCune and Amy Martin were re-elected in November and sworn in Tuesday night. All will serve four-year terms.
Board Names 36th Elementary School
Canyon Creek Elementary was chosen as the name of the district’s 36th elementary school, now under construction at 24001 W. 97th Terrace in Lenexa. The building will open in fall 2019 and provide enrollment relief for schools in the northern part of the district.
Graduation Policy Changes
Assistant Superintendent of Teaching and Learning Jessica Dain presented information to the board about policy changes involving graduation. The changes would create early graduation policies for high school students and require students to take a half-credit of consumer and personal finance course.
Later in the meeting, board members approved the policy changes.
- Due to inclement weather, January recognitions were moved to the February meeting.
In other business, the board:
- Approved a consent agenda including meeting minutes, various reports, student trips, curriculum, board policy revisions, and several Head Start documents.
- Approved a contract to add Web Ally to the district’s Blackboard contract. (capital outlay funds)
- Approved the dedication of a public street (116th Street) for Summit Trail Middle School.
- Accepted furniture bids for Summit Trail. (2016 Bond funds)
- Approved change orders in excess of $20,000 for Summit Trail. (2016 Bond funds)
- Approved a bid for white copy paper for use throughout the district. (general fund)
- Approved the purchase of new basketball goals for the Millcreek Campus gymnasium. (capital outlay funds)
- Approved the state Board of Tax Appeals application for Summit Trail.
- Received information on several future action items including student trips, curriculum, end-of-year special meeting date, special meeting with the City of Olathe representatives, schedule for district repairs, and renewal of a Neighborhood Revitalization Area program with the City of Olathe.
- Received the Head Start director’s monthly written report.
- Held an executive session to discuss personnel issues and consult with its attorney.
- Returned from executive session to deny the request for a change of placement on the district’s salary schedule; and also approved a pending settlement.
The complete agenda and supporting documents are available online at https://www.boarddocs.com/ks/olathe/Board.nsf/Public.