- Olathe Public Schools
1-16-18 — Winners Named in Martin Luther King Jr. Contest
Jan. 16, 2018 ~ This year’s Martin Luther King Jr. visual and written arts contest received more than 4,300 entries from Olathe middle and high school students. Their essays, visual art and multi-media presentation focused on the theme of “A View from the Mountaintop.”
This was the 18th year for the citywide celebration honoring Dr. King. The event was presented by the Olathe Public Schools and Olathe Human Relations Commission. The public was invited to a commemoration and announcement of the contest winners Jan. 14 at the Bell Cultural Events Center.
The celebration was an opportunity for Olathe youth to promote a society free of bullying, discrimination and mistreatment of others based on race, gender or religion by sharing their beliefs in essays, visual artwork, and mixed-media presentations. Entrants ranged from sixth grade to seniors in high school. Many entries will be on display in the downtown Olathe Public Library through February.
Contest winners received cash prizes.
The Martin Luther King Celebration is a partnership involving the City of Olathe, Olathe Public Schools, MidAmerica Nazarene University, and Olathe Public Library. It was sponsored by Olathe Communities That Care, Olathe Ford, Harlan Parker Insurance, Bott Radio Network, and Grantham University.
Best in Show:
- Mohamed Farid, Chisholm Trail, multi-media entry
Middle School Visual Arts
- Maddy Tyson, California Trail
- Abigail Gray, Santa Fe Trail
- Asey Dockstader and Olivia Meyer, Mission Trail
Middle School Multi-Media
- Mohamed Farid, Chisholm Trail
- Blue Diamonds Dance Team, Prairie Trail
- Mireya Shipley, Frontier Trail
Middle School Essay
- Natalie Mossberger, Pioneer Trail
- Amelia Schwarz, Pioneer Trail
- Kelsey Conder, Mission Trail
High School Visual Arts
- Katie Jones, Olathe South
- Malea McIntosh, Olathe South
- Jillian Maul, Olathe North
High School Multi-Media
- LyLena Estabine, Olathe Northwest
- Kali Ray, Olathe South
- David Genis, Olathe North
High School Essay
- Brian Beach, Olathe North
- Gaelle Sara Coupet, Olathe East
- Megan Li, Olathe East