Unemployment Fraud

  • Like states all across the country, Kansas is seeing an increase in reports of unemployment claim fraud due to identity theft.

    Fraudulent claims are being filed using the names and personal information of people who have not lost their jobs. People are often unaware a claim has been made on their behalf until they receive a determination notice in the mail from the Kansas Department of Labor (KDOL) or until their employer receives a notice to verify the employee's status.  

    If you suspect a claim has been improperly filed using your identity, please follow the steps below.  

    What to do if you receive an unemployment letter or another notification from the Kansas Department of Labor (KDOL) and HAVE NOT filed for unemployment?

    • Go to www.ReportFraud.ks.gov and complete a fraud report. You will receive an email confirmation from KDOL with a police report number.
    • Contact the credit bureaus, the Social Security Office, The Federal Trade Commission, the IRS and banks and credit unions.

    What to do if you receive subsequent notifications after you've already filed a fraud claim?

    • Make a copy of the document and clearly mark as FRAUD, indicate that you are employed with Olathe Public Schools, and have not filed for unemployment. Include police report number on the document.
    • Mail or FAX the notice back to KDOL at the address provided on the notification.  Document will be placed in your file. 
    • If you receive a debit card for unemployment, take front and back pictures of the card to save as proof, then destroy the cards.  Do not send back to KDOL.

    What to do if you receive a 1099-G form after you've filed a fraud claim?

    • To dispute receiving the funds on-line go to https://www.dol.ks.gov/ui-forms.
      • Under the 1099-G Forms section, click on KDOL Self Service Portal "Dispute 1099".  Include police report number on the completed form, then upload form to declare you did not receive the benefits stated on the 1099-G from issued from KDOL.
    • To dispute receiving the funds by mail:
      • Write a dispute letter including your full name, last four digits of your social security number, indicate that you have not filed for unemployment and have not received any funds.
      • Print and complete the unsworn declaration form.  Include police report number on the form.
      • Mail to: 1099 Inquiry, Kansas Department of Labor, 401 S.W. Topeka Blvd., Topeka, KS  66603-3182.
    • To dispute receiving the funds by telephone:
      • Call 785-575-1461, Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m.

    Contact Information:

    Christina Nigh: email cnighec@olatheschools.org or call 913-780-8019

Allstate Identity Protection Insurance Benefit

  • If you enrolled in the Allstate Identity Protection Insurance during Open Enrollment, please contact Allstate's privacy advocates as well.

    If you suspect you are a victim of fraud or identity theft, please contact Allstate's privacy advocates as soon as possible, 1-855-821-2331. The privacy advocate will ask you questions and preform research with you to determine if you are a victim. Once a fraudulent case has been established, a remediation specialist will work on your behalf to manage the case and help restore your identity. The remediation specialists are Certified Identity Theft Risk Management Specialists. They are experts in identity restoration and are committed to doing the legwork to restore your identity for you.