What is an Advisory Board?
To maintain Career and Technical Education (CTE) programs that meet current occupational needs, CTE educators rely heavily on advice from business and industry. An important step in establishing, maintaining, or upgrading an existing CTE cluster/pathway is the organization of a local advisory committee.
An advisory committee is a group of persons outside the education profession, comprised of representative lay-people, recognized and respected in their own fields of work who advise CTE educators, administrators, and local board of education members regarding clusters/pathways, based on the employment needs of the community, state, regional, national, and international marketplace.
The general functions are to act in an advisory capacity for the development and operation of the CTE cluster/pathway. Educators and business people working together toward a shared goal designed to benefit students while at the same time, achieving goals unique to each partner.
An advisory committee can assist in answering:
- Are students being prepared for the future job market?
- What should the training include?
- Is curriculum addressing industry needs?
- How can instructors verify competencies to industry standards?
- What industry validated credentials (includes certificates or licenses) are available within the cluster/pathway?
Advisory committees offer many services:
- They assist with the cluster/pathway development.
- They provide advice that is not easily obtainable elsewhere.
- They assist in public relations activities.
- They offer different points of view.
- They can actively aid in the placement of graduates.
- They assist in keeping educational programs up to date.
- They assist in transition to post-secondary education and training.
- They can offer training sites for internships or “live” work for In-House Training (IHT).
If you are a business or post-secondary representative and would like to be more involved in any of the Olathe Public Schools CTE Advisory Boards, please email contact Barbra Gonzales at email email@example.com.
Advisory Committee Member Lists
All CTE pathway advisory board member lists can be accessed by any Olathe Public Schools CTE teacher by the online Transeo WBL platform via Class Link.
Pathway and academy facilitators have management rights to the Business & Postsecondary Partners, Individual Contacts and Advisory Board listings.