The H.E.L.P. Clinic's goal is to support Olathe parents and students with the education and training opportunities that will have a positive impact on the quality of a student's educational experiences and life, and Help Each Live Productively.
- View the H.E.L.P. Clinic brochure in English (PDF)
- View the H.E.L.P. Clinic brochure in Spanish (PDF)
The district understands the important role the family plays in the overall development and education of a child. With increased pressures and influences around us today, our families, community and schools must work together more than ever. By providing a bridge between school and family, the H.E.L.P. Clinic supports the family, offering a variety of student, parent and crisis services.
Any situation that causes an interruption in the learning process is a serious educational concern. Students who are finding school difficult because of poor study skills, adjustment concerns, or relationships with others can find help through the clinic. Parents who want to learn more effective ways of encouraging and motivating children in school can also turn to the clinic.
The H.E.L.P. Clinic operates in cooperation with the Olathe Public Schools and outside community agencies. For many, the clinic provides a convenient, inexpensive and supportive resource for dealing with various challenging situations surrounding students or families.
- Individual and family counseling consists of short-term counseling (six sessions) for students and their families.
- Social skills classes serve those who need help in relating to and getting along with other students. These are structured classes in which a teaching format is used. For fourth-grade through 12th-grade students, classes are scheduled by age group and when minimum enrollments have been achieved.
- Play therapy is a technique where the child's natural means of expression, namely play, is used as a therapeutic method to assist him/her in coping with stress or life difficulties. Play therapy is used effectively at the H.E.L.P. Clinic with children ages 5 to 8 years old. This method allows the child to manipulate the world on a smaller scale, something that cannot be done in the child's everyday environment. By playing with specially selected materials, and with the guidance of a person who reacts in a designated manner, the child plays out his/her feelings, bringing hidden emotions to the surface where he/she can face them and cope with them.
The H.E.L.P. Clinic is staffed by professional school counselors, psychologists and social workers who are employed by the school district. These accredited and experienced professionals have a sincere interest in assisting students and families to better deal with challenges which impact students' abilities to achieve educational success.
The clinic is funded through local, state and federal resources, so the services to residents of the Olathe Public Schools are free of charge. There are restrictions on the number of counseling/consultation sessions allowed.
If a family has been referred to the H.E.L.P. Clinic, a member of the staff will contact them. All information is kept confidential. To enroll or seek additional information, call the H.E.L.P. Clinic office weekdays from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at 913-780-7049. The clinic is located in the Mill Creek Campus, 300 E. Loula Street, Olathe, Kansas.