COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions

  • Q. — What will happen to the balance in my child's lunch account?

    A. — Lunch account balances for students in kindergarten through 11th grade will automatically be rolled over to the 2020-21 school year. As is the regular practice each year, senior lunch account balances over $5 will be refunded to families. All meal refunds will be made by check and mailed. Questions related to lunch balances can be emailed to Cynthia Hall at

    Q. — How will we get our personal items back?

    A. — We know that many families have questions related to the retrieval of student personal items. At this time, while the Stay at Home order is in place, we are unable to begin this process. Once the Stay at Home Order is lifted, we will begin to communicate about what this plan will look like. Stay tuned for more information in the coming weeks.

    Q. — How does the COVID-19 situation impact the Olathe Public Schools?

    A. — In order to mitigate the spread of the COVID-19 virus in Kansas, on Tuesday, March 17, 2020, Kansas Gov. Laura Kelly ordered all public schools in Kansas to remain closed through the end of the school year.

    “The steps we're announcing today will create the space we need at the state level, to develop a more strategic resilient infrastructure so that we can get ahead of this threat and limit its long-term impact,” Gov. Kelly noted.

    You can view the governor’s press conference online or read recent press releases issued on the governor’s websiteRead the executive order in PDF format.

    “We are in an unprecedented time,” Superintendent John Allison said. “It requires all of us to work together in support of our community. We know that everyone is looking for answers and we are looking to provide guidance for our students and community as best we can. We appreciate everyone’s patience and support and we will continue to keep them informed as we are able to address the numerous issues that are before us.”

    Q. — What does this mean for grades and learning?

    A. — Our intent is to use third quarter grades as a starting point for fourth quarter and semester grades. Based on our continuous learning plan which will begin on March 30, students at risk of not graduating or who would like to enhance their second semester grades will have opportunities to positively impact their final grades. Keeping in mind that students’ lives have changed dramatically in the recent days, we are going to focus learning opportunities in the coming weeks on the critical standards we know our students need to understand.

    The district continues to develop plans for student learning opportunities and will be prepared to begin delivering them to students the week of March 30. We will continue to provide additional information as plans are finalized.

    We are working with College Board related to AP Courses and AP Exams, and the Kansas Board of Regents and Johnson County Community College about College Now courses and will communicate more as it becomes available.

    Q. — What can be done for children who need breakfast and lunch?

    A. — Beginning on Monday, March 23, the Olathe Public Schools will be providing on-the-go meal packs for students 18 and under from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Monday and Wednesday until further notice. Students will receive lunch and breakfast sacks. The sites where the food will be available are:

    • Central, 305 E. Cedar Street
    • Fairview, 600 N. Marion
    • Havencroft, 1700 E. Sheridan Street
    • Indian Creek, 15800 Indian Creek Parkway
    • Northview, 900 N. Woodland Road
    • Ridgeview, 1201 E. Elm Street
    • Rolling Ridge, 1500 W. Elm Terrace
    • Washington, 1202 N. Ridgeview Road
    • Westview, 500 S. Troost Street

    Your children must be present with you to pick up their meals. This will be a drive-thru set up. We ask that you not park and get out of your car. For families who live in the area and may be walking, a second area will be set up for you to pick-up your meal. We are hopeful that we have determined the right amount of meals to have available but please be patient if we run out. We will adjust our numbers the following day. No meals are available for adults at this time.

    The lunches will be prepared under strict sanitation procedures at the school district’s Food Production Center following all food safety requirements of the Kansas Food Code plus additional protocols specifically to protect against the spread of COVID-19. Staff distributing the sack lunches at the schools will also be following protocols to ensure both food safety and to protect against the spread of COVID-19. Note: families will have to monitor food allergies on their own; no special food and diet restrictions will be able to be maintained at this time.

    Q. — What about children who need dinner?

    A. — Beginning on Monday, March 23, the Olathe Public Library offers free dinners for children 18 and under. Read about it on the library's website.

    Q. — What can we do if we have a technology questions?

    A. — Starting on Monday, March 23, district technology support will be available from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. Technology will be providing support via email. Parents can also email our Help Desk for district-related technology support. High school students can continue to submit work orders for their devices using their student help desk web link. (Every high school student device has a web help shortcut on their desktop.) At this time we are not providing physical device support.

    Q. — How do we get medicine and medical supplies back?

    A. — Each school nurse is contacting families with medicine or medical supplies and will work out a reunification plan for these items.


    Q. — What is the latest on activities, events and graduation?

    A. — All district student activities, athletics, competitions, travel, and trips are canceled through the end of the school year. We do not know what this looks like for key events like graduation, but we are hopeful that we can hold a delayed graduation ceremony later in the summer.

    Q. — What do I do if I have a health related-question?

    A. — Contact your physician or Johnson County has established the Johnson County Community COVID-19 hotline scheduled to be open as of March 18. Health professionals can be reached at 913-715-2819 from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.

    Q. — Where can all the district information related to COVID-19 be found?

    A. — More information can be found at

    Q. — How do we talk to kids about COVID-19?

    Read the Talking to Kids About the Coronavirus

    Q. — What other information is available?

    Visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Information webpage