Cyber Bullying, Cyber Integrity, Cyber Safety
Computers, cell phones, the Internet and other digital means of communication are great tools for people of all ages. However, improper use of these devices can be hurtful, intimidating or threatening. The Olathe Public Schools launched its CO3 committee to address cyber safety, cyber bullying and cyber integrity in Olathe.
Library Media Coordinator Lori Franklin leads the district's CO3 initiative.
The team saw a need to highlight the district's existing efforts to educate students about proper use of digital communications. CO3 also teaches parents how to work with their children to use the Internet correctly and safely.
If you have concerns about potential cyber safety, please contact your child's school or call the 24-hour anonymous School Resource Officer hotline at (913) 780-7777.
- More than 50 percent of parents feel their ability to monitor and shelter their children from inappropriate material is limited. ~ i-Safe Survey
- 24 percent of children surveyed do not feel there is anything wrong with chatting with strangers on line. ~ i-Safe Survey
- 28 percent of children surveyed have seen something on the Internet they consider dangerous. ~ i-Safe Survey
- More than 33 percent of youth have been victimized through cyber bullying. ~ Journal of School Violence
- More than 50 percent of high school students admit plagiarizing from the Internet. ~ Rutgers University
Research has shown that children whose parents have talked with them about Internet safety are more responsible with their use of the Internet. Parents don't have to be computer experts to keep their children safe online.
Links and Documents for All Age Groups
- Cyber Safety Parent Guide: PDF file
- Stay Safe Online, Raising Digital Citizens: https://www.staysafeonline.org/stay-safe-online/for-parents/raising-digital-citizens
- Common Sense Media Parent Guide to Facebook, Instagram and Social Media: https://www.commonsensemedia.org/social-media
- Overnight Geek University (apps ratings): http://www.overnightgeekuniversity.com/
- Parent App Reviews: https://www.commonsensemedia.org/reviews
- R U Cyber Safe? http://www.rucybersafe.info/home
- Kansas Safe Schools Resource Center: www.ksde.org/kssafeschoolsresourcecenter
- Net Lingo: PDF file
- Social Web Tips for Parents: PDF file
- Four Apps Parents Should Monitor: PDF file
- Keeping Kids Safe in Cyber Space: www.safehome.org/resources/kid-safety-digital-age/
- National Crime Prevention Council's Spotting the Signs of Cyberbullying: PDF file
Elementary Links, Documents
- Netsmartz: http://www.netsmartz.org/
- I Keep Safe: http://www.ikeepsafe.org/
- Verizon: Parenting in a Digital World: https://www.verizon.com/about/responsibility/parenting-in-a-digital-world
Middle School and High School Links, Documents
- NetSmartz Workshop: http://www.nsteens.org/
- Wired Safety: http://www.wiredsafety.org/
- Safe Teens: http://www.safeteens.com/
- A Parents Guide to Internet Safety: FBI: https://www2.fbi.gov/publications/pguide/pguidee.htm
- Sexting Safety Tips: PDF file